buy fx 8350 or overclock fx 6200

Go to solution Solved by iHardware Shelden,

I have a FX 6300 and plan on upgrading to sky-lake or zen, overclocking would be the best option. I have my 6300 at 4.5GHz with a Hyper T4 and dont get above 45c in the dead heat of summer. 

I was planning on upgrading my computer... i was wondering if i should buy a fx 8350 or keep my 6200 and overclock it a bit? Which would be a better bang for the buck? 

Obviously if you're talking bang for the buck overclocking your current CPU is better since you don't spend any money at all.

Since the base/turbo frequencies of the two chips are very similar (6200 3.8/4.1, 8350 4.0/4.2) you won't see much improvement in games that don't multithread well if you do upgrade.

EDIT: You do get an IPC improvement moving to Vishera, but imo it's not worth the investment. Maybe wait for Zen or Skylake.

It would be a better idea to OC your 6200 instead of buying a 8350 because it's the same chip with 1 more module that's clocked higher. It would be a waste of money to buy a 8350 anyway.

assuming its only for gaming, i suggest you buy an aftermarket cooler and overclock the shit out of your Fx-6200. and save your money to upgrade to intel i5 or i7 in 12-18 months, depending on your budget. 

p.s. i have a fx-6300 OC @4.6ghz

may your framerates be high and your temperatures be low. #pcmr

@OnekillWalter has nailed it, OC your 6200 and as soon as you can, upgrade to intel, you will see a massive improvement

assuming its only for gaming, i suggest you buy an aftermarket cooler and overclock the shit out of your Fx-6200. and save your money to upgrade to intel i5 or i7 in 12-18 months, depending on your budget. 

p.s. i have a fx-6300 OC @4.6ghz

OKay! ill overclock it for now then maybe get i 5 sooner or later

Well if you were building new I would say to get the FX-8350 over the FX-6200 for sure... but the gap between any AMD CPU and the FX-8350 is not large enough to warke othpgrading from one to the other... so yeah like others have said just overclock your FX-6200 and save your money. Either get an Intel i5/i7 or hold out until next year and see what the options are from Zen and Skylake. If you upgraded to an FX-8350 you would not get a very big performance boost at all... it would not be worth it.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I have a FX 6300 and plan on upgrading to sky-lake or zen, overclocking would be the best option. I have my 6300 at 4.5GHz with a Hyper T4 and dont get above 45c in the dead heat of summer. 

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Oh ok! i was planning on getting a h90i is it worth it? or should i buy a hyper 212 evo

Oh ok! i was planning on getting a h90i is it worth it? or should i buy a hyper 212 evo

Hyper T4 or 212 Evo is more than fine, then agian if you want to use the cooler on your new cpu in the future I would say get the h90i

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City