Suggest a microphone + headphones for me

Ghost

I am looking for a good setup for just general mic usage and gaming/music. So everything.

I currently have Logitech G35 and although I like them the microphone is far to sensitive and sounds quite rough.

I have been told analouge is just generally better.

In terms of price something realistic.

£150 for both things would be great. But that's adjustable in both directions.

Just ask for any more info!

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Would you prefer a clip on mic, or a stand mic which you have on your desktop? As for headphones: I'm currently looking at getting myself a pair of Creative Aurvana Live. I normally stay away from Creative, however i've been recommended these by multiple audiophiles for a good mix between gaming and music. Your budget is higher than mine however - have you looked at Audio Technica?

Would you prefer a clip on mic' date=' or a stand mic which you have on your desktop? As for headphones: I'm currently looking at getting myself a pair of Creative Aurvana Live. I normally stay away from Creative, however i've been recommended these by multiple audiophiles for a good mix between gaming and music. Your budget is higher than mine however - have you looked at Audio Technica?

To tell you the truth I haven't looked at anything yet. I know naff about audio etc.

I was once recommended a Senheiser PC360.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

Really need to know your musical preference, whether you want to hear what's going on around you and any other specific requirements you have.

Headset

Really need to know your musical preference' date=' whether you want to hear what's going on around you and any other specific requirements you have.[/quote']

In terms of music I really don't care for listening to music on headphones. I listen to dubstep occasionally but mostly listen to random songs and change genres like every month anyway. I have always used closed headphones beforehand but wouldn't mind open headphones either.

Not sure how much you are going to need for your mic but the AKG K550 are £130 on Amazon at the moment, heard good reviews elsewhere.

V-Moda Crossfade LPs are on sale at the moment because the new ones are out, they are a lot more bass heavy.

Headset

Personally I would say to go with a pair of open headphones and a desk mic because you'll get better mic quality and better audio quality in general. You can use closed headphones but I personally think that it's difficult (awkward) to talk with those on...

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

Also if you're only looking into headsets Linus ALWAYS recomends the Steelseries 7H which is way under £150.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

For sheer sound quality ( both playback and recording), you really can't beat a dedicated headphone and microphone. Headsets seem to be a compromise between the mobility of having it 'all in one' but the quality lacks, both mic and sound. If you're unsure what style of headphone you would like, go into an HMV (whilst they're still around :D) and try on some, don't but from there, but it will give you a good idea of what type of style you prefer. I personally prefer the closed style as the open feels huge on my head, as if the drivers are really far away, and i don't really like that; however, you may be different.

For a mic, i'm currently using one of these and it's pretty good; nothing special, but then what can you expect from a £10 clip on?

I personally prefer closed typed headphones. I don't really want sound to leak and I don't really want to hear outside noise.

Beyerdynamic DT 770's are nice.

What're you using the mic for?

Intel Core i7-4790k | ASUS 4GB GTX 970 | 32GB (4X8GB) DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum

ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + WD 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H100i | Windows 8.1 64bit

For sheer sound quality ( both playback and recording)' date=' you really can't beat a dedicated headphone and microphone. Headsets seem to be a compromise between the mobility of having it 'all in one' but the quality lacks, both mic and sound. If you're unsure what style of headphone you would like, go into an HMV (whilst they're still around :D) and try on some, don't but from there, but it will give you a good idea of what type of style you prefer. I personally prefer the closed style as the open feels huge on my head, as if the drivers are really far away, and i don't really like that; however, you may be different. For a mic, i'm currently using one of these and it's pretty good; nothing special, but then what can you expect from a £10 clip on?

​I am actually very likely to buy a lapel mic now. I will just go by amazon review unless an audiophile actually recommends me a <£40 lapel mic.

I personally prefer closed typed headphones. I don't really want sound to leak and I don't really want to hear outside noise. Beyerdynamic DT 770's are nice. What're you using the mic for?

​Mic is for talking to people and maybe occasionally recording videos.

for your price i'd look into audio technica ad700, possibly the ad900's (don't know the exchange rate right now)

and for the mic, either a lapel or you can mod a boom mic and stick it to the headphones with velcro, or go with the modmic which sticks with an adhesive magnet.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

for your price i'd look into audio technica ad700, possibly the ad900's (don't know the exchange rate right now)

and for the mic, either a lapel or you can mod a boom mic and stick it to the headphones with velcro, or go with the modmic which sticks with an adhesive magnet.

Audio Technica's are crazy money in the UK and the Modmic isn't much better after customs charges from what i hear.

Headset

for your price i'd look into audio technica ad700' date=' possibly the ad900's (don't know the exchange rate right now) and for the mic, either a lapel or you can mod a boom mic and stick it to the headphones with velcro, or go with the modmic which sticks with an adhesive magnet. [/quote']

Right now I'm focusing on mics. What mic would you recommend. I want a good mic but don't want to be leaning over my desk to use it.

look for a cheap vocal mic, you'll probably have to use a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter.

I just use this from radioshack. Far from high end, but better than a typical computer mic.

http://www.radioshackuk.co.uk/epages/BT2533.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2533/Products/330-3038

if running from integrated sound, you might want to pick up a cheap pre amp to help cut out some of the hiss, or go usb mic instead.

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

look for a cheap vocal mic' date=' you'll probably have to use a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adapter. I just use this from radioshack. Far from high end, but better than a typical computer mic. [url']http://www.radioshackuk.co.uk/epages/BT2533.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2533/Products/330-3038 if running from integrated sound, you might want to pick up a cheap pre amp to help cut out some of the hiss, or go usb mic instead.

That would qualify under "Lean over the desk" mic.

in that case I'd probably go with the previously mentioned zalman, due to my limited knowledge with condenser/wireless microphone systems.

it really isn't a difficult mod to do. for the longest time I just stuck it together with the blue playdough poster sticky stuff.

why not get a pair of sony V6's and a blue snowball or snowball ice, it is about £150 or less if you pricematch.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

You could go a slightly different route and get something like a Samson Q7 with a Xenyx 502 minidesk and then a pair of Sennheiser 448's. I've used the 448's a little and considering their price I'm quite impressed with their sound. The bass from memory was a little loose on the higher end up around the 140's however a lot better than most. The mids were nice and sharp, not the screechy if not somewhat grainy sound that you can get with the lower end Sennheisers (201's specifically). All together that little setup is bang on 140 on Amazon then you'd need a little desktop stand and a couple of cables (XLRM to XLRF and 1/4" Stereo to 1/8" TRS) which will probably be another 10-20.

The mic isn't amazing however for the price that it is, it sounds surprisingly good. You'd want to take a little off the low and compensate in the high as it can sound a little muddy but over things like Skype it won't be that noticeable. It's got a decent pickup from about a foot away however If you wanted something with a little more reach that will however possibly pick up a little more ambient, there are Behringer C2's too.