Messing with MAC Filters.

SuspiciousBadger

Hi guys,

So before i type 10 pages about why I want this ill shortly summarize; parents want MAC Filter tp switch of WIFI after 10PM.

Here is my plan! My dad wants to enable the MAC Filter on our router so I can't use Wifi after 10PM (I use technology too much even though they watch TV while scrollin bloody facebook 24/7) to render this useless I will be trying to spoof the MAC address on my tablet and phone to use the same address as my parents laptop (Which never gets used but will have WIFI access at all times).

Several questions about this!

I know you can change a devices MAC address but can you type it yourself or do you get a random one? Will this mess shit up when my phone and tablet use the same MAC address? What is the best way to change MAC address on android (Both devices are rooted I was thinking off this guide: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2286440

Sorry if this post doesn't read smooth im typing on phone and its highly annoying and nearly impossible to see what im typing.

Thanks alot!

I'm pretty sure this is against the CoC in some regard...

Life tip, always be the king of technology in your house. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just Turn the filter off?

Do US or Canadian laws forbid anyone to be smarter than their parents?

Dad use to work in IT I can't become king sadly, and wtf is the CoC?

No it isn't lol. It's his stuff lol

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

His parents stuff, in his parents house, that his parents pay for. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

His parents stuff, in his parents house, that his parents pay for. 

meh I don't care I'll help the dude.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

That would be pretty obvious lol

I wouldn't ask the question if I could do that? I don't know my dads passwords (Found out my moms lol).

meh I don't care I'll help the dude.

So i used an app called MAC Address Ghost and it looks like it works but when I go into settings to check my MAC Address its unchanged? Im running Cynaogenmod 10.- on Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. And I can't connect to WIFI anymore until I switch WIFI on and off which is suppose to revert my MAC Address to original.

I wouldn't ask the question if I could do that? I don't know my dads passwords (Found out my moms lol).

I wasn't the one who told you to do it... @Arty was

Do US or Canadian laws forbid anyone to be smarter than their parents?

It actually would be, since the CoC specifically forbids you from asking how to subvert network security on networks that you don't own. The kid doesn't own this stuff, his parents do.

See above. At best, it's a grey area in the CoC. It's not illegal by any means, but the forum has rules.

@Xenofen Is it possible? Yes. Will it cause issues? Potentially - if both your device, plus the laptop you cloned the MAC Address from, are both on, it will confuse the fuck out of your Router.

Should you do this? No. Learn to work with your parents. If they catch you circumventing their rules, they'll never trust you again. You should strive to have a healthy relationship with your parents. Maybe they have a point, maybe you use your devices too much. If you think that's not true, then you should (in a calm, intelligent, and concise manner) explain to them why you disagree - why you think you need x amount of access.

BTW, how old are you? Not having WIFI after 10 pm, assuming you're a teenager (I'm randomly guessing 12-16 years of age) is not the end of the world. Work within the rules your parents give you, and most parents will be more flexible and eventually let you decide your own rules.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

snip
Do i really care about the rules not really I mean I do, I mean I wouldn't just shitpost constantly or stuff like that. I'll help the dude meh who cares everyone breaks rules once in awhile.

snip
And also parents are not usually reasonable when you are the one being reasonable you just get yelled at.

While it is perfectly possible to spoof a MAC (I change most of mine on a regular basis just to confuse the hell out of anyone who tries to track or monitor me), having 2 machines with the same MAC connecting to a router is asking for trouble. 

Some routers will not accept the second machine (in which case your dad will probably use another PC to access the router's control panel, see the connected devices, notice that the laptop's MAC address is in use and put 2 and 2 together)

Other routers will not know how to deal with it and will probably kick both machines until the session ends or perhaps even until the router is rebooted (my own D-link did just that when I tried it last year)

So all in all : don't do it.