Fiio E10K DAC/Amp with Akg K712 Pro

Hey guys!

I am looking to buy a new pair of headphones, the Akg K712 Pros. I currently have a pair of Audio Technica Ath-M50s and am using a Fiio E10K Dac/Amp. So, will the Fiio E10K be sufficient for listening to music on the Akg K712 headphones? If not, what would you suggest?

Thank you!!  :)

Well, it certainly won't hurt them, but the E10K only puts out about 200mW @ 32 ohms, which is standard headphone impedance. Meaning it's not really meant for audiophile-grade listening on headphones @ 40ohms or above. You're not going to get as much push on the K712s as you did the M50s because the M50s are about 38 ohms and the K712s are at about 62 ohms, though the K712s have a MAXIMUM input of about 200mW.

For better amplification, I'd suggest something that puts out a little more, if you can afford it.

Personally, I recommend the Schiit Audio Modi/Magni combo. Both have to be purchased separately, but they're an investment. Amazon has the best prices.

FX-8350 @ 5.1Ghz | ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z  | Corsair 4x4GB DDR3-1600 | CM Seidon 120V | Sapphire R9 290X Ref. | NZXT HALE90V2 850W | NXZT Phantom 

Well, it certainly won't hurt them, but the E10K only puts out about 200mW @ 32 ohms, which is standard headphone impedance. Meaning it's not really meant for audiophile-grade listening on headphones @ 40ohms or above. You're not going to get as much push on the K712s as you did the M50s because the M50s are about 38 ohms and the K712s are at about 62 ohms, though the K712s have a MAXIMUM input of about 200mW.

For better amplification, I'd suggest something that puts out a little more, if you can afford it.

What is "audiophile grade" listening? What would happen if you plugged, say, a 250ohm headphone into an E10?

Personally, I recommend the Schiit Audio Modi/Magni combo. Both have to be purchased separately, but they're an investment. Amazon has the best prices.

I'd care a tad bit more about headphone sensitivity over impedance, if I were you.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

So I've been looking at the fiio e10 and dt990's.
I just saw this thread while looking around, from what I'm reading the e10 isn't going to be anywhere near strong enough to push 250ohms is it?

Higher frame rate over higher resolution.

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

So I've been looking at the fiio e10 and dt990's.

I just saw this thread while looking around, from what I'm reading the e10 isn't going to be anywhere near strong enough to push 250ohms is it?

Yes it is, goddamn it. I run DT880s from the old E10 and it reaches ear-piercing levels.

I doubt you'll need an amp, though. If you do, you should not get the E10k if you have toslink/spdif/optical out from your motherboard. Get the SMSL SD793-II instead because it is better in every possible way for the same price.

First off, that whole thing about audiophile grade listening is a bunch of bull honky. Second, Amazon does not have the best prices on the Schiit gear, Schiit does.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Yes it is, goddamn it. I run DT880s from the old E10 and it reaches ear-piercing levels.

I doubt you'll need an amp, though. If you do, you should not get the E10k if you have toslink/spdif/optical out from your motherboard. Get the SMSL SD793-II instead because it is better in every possible way for the same price.

Unfortunately I don't have an optical in.

I got the e10k and dt 990's, i don't need ear-piercing levels lol

I've seen more than enough good things about both, they were on sale so I took the chance.

I can update tomorrow if people would like.

From everything else I've seen looks like they'll be fine

CPU-i5 4690k -GPU-MSI 970 sli -Mobo-MSI g45 gaming -Memory-16gb crucial ballistix -PSU- EVGA 80+ gold g2 850w -Case- corsair 200r

Monitors- Acer XB240H, Asus ROG Swift, Dell P2815Q 2160p  -Keyboard- Corsair k70 RGB -Mouse- Corsair M65 -Mouse Pad- Glorious Extended Pad -Headphone- BeyerDynamic DT990 250ohm, Senheiser HD 518, Fiio E10k

@Natedawg620 E10K is officialy rated up to 150ohm headphones. But some older versions mention 600ohm in manual. If you don't need volume that will blast your ears off you should probably be ok.  And as TumbleButt says sensivity is more important that impedance. As for other AMP/DAC you could look at Objective2. Combo unit costs 280$ and amplifier only costs 130$. It will be enough to drive practically anything on the market.

@ConnorDahne Could you post how this combo plays together? I'm currently looking at E10K and DT880s 250ohm.

@ConnorDahne Could you post how this combo plays together? I'm currently looking at E10K and DT880s 250ohm.

I can, it should be arriving in the next hour or so 

@JurijPietrowicz

My dt990's just arrived, and i just got to check them out. The e10k is plenty enough to power them.
I currently have the volume set to 4 on the amp and it's plenty loud enough.
I think it goes without saying these sound great, even straight out the box:)
These are the  first over hundred dollar headphones i've ever bought, and I already love them!!!

Hope you enjoy yours:)

@ConnorDahne Thank you for answering.

@JurijPietrowicz 

You're welcome, as an update:

Have been listening all day.

Everything from rock, talk radio, even youtube and rap sounds great.

You won't be disapointed!