Sub $400 camera for short film

Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent camera for shooting short films, but unfortunately I don't really know the first thing about cameras. My budget is around $600NZD ($400USD). What would you guys recommend?

Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent camera for shooting short films, but unfortunately I don't really know the first thing about cameras. My budget is around $600NZD ($400USD). What would you guys recomm

It all depends on what type of storyboard you have and what the lighting will be. Will you be filming primarily outside with natural lighting, indoors with artificial lighting? What's your audio going to be?  

Zeus: Dual Xeon E5-2695v3 | 128GB DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PE-D16 WS | 2-way SLI EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 | Corsair AX1200i | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Das KB & Razor Chroma mouse

Yoda: HP DL380p Gen8 | Dual Xeon E5-2697v2 | 256GB DDR3 ECC | Dual Nvidia Tesla K40c | Dual 1200w PSU | 3X 146GB 15K SAS 2.5" HDD | CentOS 7 | Headless

Hey guys, I'm looking for a decent camera for shooting short films, but unfortunately I don't really know the first thing about cameras. My budget is around $600NZD ($400USD). What would you guys recommend?

For a short film why not borrow/rent a camera from someone or a company? 

It all depends on what you want to do with it. But for basic stuff the Canon EOS rebal T5 might do what you need.

My Rig

CPU: i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz | Motherboard: Asrock Z87 Extreme4 | Hyper XFury 16GB(2x8) and 1x8GB G.Skill =24GB GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 O.C.ed | Case: N600 Coolermaster Storage: 1x3TB 7200RPM, 1x320GB 7200RPM, 1x750GB 5400RPM, 1x500GB Evo 850 SSD, 1x1TB = 5.67TB | PSU: 750 Watt PSU Displays: 2x23 inch LG23M45 60hz 1080p + 1 QNIX QX2710 (O.C.ed)100hz 1440p | Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blues | Cooling: Stock | Mouse: Redragon Perdition Sound: Sades SA-708 Headset | Operating System: Windows 8

Ask me about my photography!

It all depends on what type of storyboard you have and what the lighting will be. Will you be filming primarily outside with natural lighting, indoors with artificial lighting? What's your audio going to be?  

There's a variety of shots, indoor and out. Audio isn't a pressing issue right now, but I'd probably spend a little more in the future on a decent mic setup in the future.

For a short film why not borrow/rent a camera from someone or a company? 

That's definitely option, and if I don't really find anything I know people who would definitely let me borrow their stuff.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. But for basic stuff the Canon EOS rebal T5 might do what you need.

That looks pretty nice, and is in budget. I'll do a bit of research on it to see if it's what I'm looking for, thanks!

That looks pretty nice, and is in budget. I'll do a bit of research on it to see if it's what I'm looking for, thanks!

No problem!

One of the upsides to getting a camera like that is that you can buy lenses and later on down the road use them on more expensive cameras from Canon, Red, Black Magic Design and so on...

My Rig

CPU: i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz | Motherboard: Asrock Z87 Extreme4 | Hyper XFury 16GB(2x8) and 1x8GB G.Skill =24GB GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 O.C.ed | Case: N600 Coolermaster Storage: 1x3TB 7200RPM, 1x320GB 7200RPM, 1x750GB 5400RPM, 1x500GB Evo 850 SSD, 1x1TB = 5.67TB | PSU: 750 Watt PSU Displays: 2x23 inch LG23M45 60hz 1080p + 1 QNIX QX2710 (O.C.ed)100hz 1440p | Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blues | Cooling: Stock | Mouse: Redragon Perdition Sound: Sades SA-708 Headset | Operating System: Windows 8

Ask me about my photography!