First Plan For A Rig

Go to solution Solved by veech,

23" in my preferred size but that's up to you. 

Go for the Kraken x60... It's quieter.

Why'd you change to a more expensive and unlisted bluray player? The one I chose would do the same job for less than half the price.

Why not just stick with my original build? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1mlR1

Alright. Your build still works for me. Lol.

I guess I'm done planning out my rig! Thank you everyone!

1. Budget & Location

I am a beginner at this kind of stuff but please hang on with me. This is what I have to offer so far with the help of WoodenMarker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1kP8L

I have a budget of $1300~$1400 at most at the moment.

2. Aim

I am a beginner at this type of stuff so please hang on with me. I want a rig that is able to do some high-end gaming, game footage rendering/editing, and programming. Some types of game that I would want to play on this new rig are: Battlefield 4, Black Ops Ghost, and Watch Dogs. I want to be able to run around 40FPS average on these games with max/high settings.

3. Monitors

As for now I am going to run with just one monitor but I would want to go SLI with 3 monitors in the near future. The monitor that I currently have is eff'ed up so I'm interested in buying a new one. I have none in mind at the moment.

4. Peripherals

I won't be needing any peripherals except having Windows.

Thanks for your time and effort! :)

PS: Any suggestion, advice, or critique is welcome.

I forgot to add some more of my preferences.

I would like to have the rig run on water cooling at the quietest way if possible.

you may want to get an nvidia gpu for shadowplay. if you don't have a capture card. get a better cooler if you plan on overclocking because you may get a bad chip. you may want to get a better case because with a rig that good, you would want it to look nice and house it better,

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

Great build you got there! But you might want to go with one stick of 8 gb ram instead of 2 4 gb sticks. With 2 4gb sticks, you get a max capacity of 16. But, with one stick of 8, you get a max of 32gb. I know you dont take use of dual channel memory with one stick, but thats my suggestion. Also, watercooling can be set aside as an upgrade because that 212 evo you have will do you wonders. But, if you want watercooling now, check out the watercooling part of the forum, really helpful people there.

BTW, if your new to building a pc and need any help, send me a message and I can guide you if you want!

i dont think the evo is a great choice if you are overclocking

Specs cpu:  i7 4770k  mobo: z87-pro RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB GPU: EVGA GTX 770 HDD: WD blue 1TB psu: TX750M case: 550D cooling: H100i monitor: Dell U2410/Samsung sa350

I <3 senheiser, ASUS, Corsair, Intel

you may want to get an nvidia gpu for shadowplay. if you don't have a capture card. get a better cooler if you plan on overclocking because you may get a bad chip. you may want to get a better case because with a rig that good, you would want it to look nice and house it better,

I do not have a capture card. Do you have any suggestion on a type of cooler and GPU? Also a suggestion on a case? I was looking at the Corsair Stryker but it seems a bit pricy to me. Lol!

Great build you got there! But you might want to go with one stick of 8 gb ram instead of 2 4 gb sticks. With 2 4gb sticks, you get a max capacity of 16. But, with one stick of 8, you get a max of 32gb. I know you dont take use of dual channel memory with one stick, but thats my suggestion. Also, watercooling can be set aside as an upgrade because that 212 evo you have will do you wonders. But, if you want watercooling now, check out the watercooling part of the forum, really helpful people there.

BTW, if your new to building a pc and need any help, send me a message and I can guide you if you want!

I don't think I will upgrade my ram higher than 16GB in the future so I guess I'm fine.

Will the 212 evo be okay even if I want to overclocked my CPU and GPU? I really want to do watercooling but if it's too much for my budget than I can wait on that.

PS: Thanks for the offer because I will surely hit you up when ever I'm in need of help. Lol!

If I where you I would go for 2*8GB of RAM it will help in video editing and rendering

And if you plan in water cooling in the future try looking at other cases with better water cooling support

i dont think the evo is a great choice if you are overclocking

What would be your suggestion then? :/

If I where you I would go for 2*8GB of RAM it will help in video editing and rendering

And if you plan in water cooling in the future try looking at other cases with better water cooling support

Hm. Then I guess I'll look go with 2x 8GB of ram if I have any leftover budget after choosing a better cooling.

About the case I really don't know whether it's compatible with water cooling or not except being attracted to its look. Lol, sorry I'm quite a noob.

Just a suggestion, if your looking for case fans. Definetly go noctua they are very silent and are worth the every penny of the $20 you spend on one.

If your looking for a good case that can fit watercooling, than I would go for a cooler master scout 2. Its big enough for a rad and all your cables.

If your looking for a good case that can fit watercooling, than I would go for a cooler master scout 2. Its big enough for a rad and all your cables.

external rad, that is.

will you go SLI in the future? 650w is plenty

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

What would be your suggestion then? :/

Dat noctua cpu cooler  i forgot the name, but i prefer watercooling so get an h100i :D

Specs cpu:  i7 4770k  mobo: z87-pro RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB GPU: EVGA GTX 770 HDD: WD blue 1TB psu: TX750M case: 550D cooling: H100i monitor: Dell U2410/Samsung sa350

I <3 senheiser, ASUS, Corsair, Intel

external rad, that is.

will you go SLI in the future? 650w is plenty

Yes I will want to run SLI on 3 monitors in the future.

Dat noctua cpu cooler  i forgot the name, but i prefer watercooling so get an h100i :D

Will the liquid cooler h100i cool better than the noctua when overclocking though? I also prefer liquid cooling but I don't want to fry my CPU :(

nh d14?

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Microcenter) 
CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM  Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard:  MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX  LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($125.99 @ Best Buy) 
Storage:  Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($407.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.50 @ Amazon) 
Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.73 @ Outlet PC) 
Total: $1393.14
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-29 07:21 EDT-0400)

With your gpu, I dont see you having to SLI for a long time.

Oh yeah forgot to add that I will be upgrading my GPU when I decide to run SLI :)

nh d14?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ Microcenter) 

CPU Cooler:  Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM  Liquid CPU Cooler  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 

Motherboard:  MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX  LGA1150 Motherboard  ($144.99 @ Newegg) 

Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($125.99 @ Best Buy) 

Storage:  Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.98 @ Outlet PC) 

Video Card:  Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card  ($407.99 @ SuperBiiz) 

Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($84.50 @ Amazon) 

Power Supply:  Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 

Operating System:  Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  ($89.73 @ Outlet PC) 

Total: $1393.14

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-29 07:21 EDT-0400)

Does the 770 overclock better than the 7970?

Does the 770 overclock better than the 7970?

i can't say but gpu boost 2.0 will definitely help with the OC. especially with aftermarket heatsinks.

i can't say but gpu boost 2.0 will definitely help with the OC. especially with aftermarket heatsinks.

This is my updated build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lTFo

What can I fix from here?

Great build! everything seems good now. Heres a suggestion: New consoles are using 8-core cpu's. If you have a 4 core now and games are starting to use 8 cores, you will find your 4 core lacking in gaming. So if you can spend it, you might want to get a i7 now so you dont have to worry about the upgrade later. Also, i perfer seasonic for a PSU because they are the brand to beat in PSU's. but if you want cooler master thats perfectly fine, just a suggestion. BTW, have you built a pc before? 

This is my updated build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lTFo

What can I fix from here?

no need to buy new thermal paste. thr preapplied onr is high quality. you don't want to skimp on the psu. it may become a prblem in the future.

Great build! everything seems good now. Heres a suggestion: New consoles are using 8-core cpu's. If you have a 4 core now and games are starting to use 8 cores, you will find your 4 core lacking in gaming. So if you can spend it, you might want to get a i7 now so you dont have to worry about the upgrade later. Also, i perfer seasonic for a PSU because they are the brand to beat in PSU's. but if you want cooler master thats perfectly fine, just a suggestion. BTW, have you built a pc before?

while it is true that 8 cores may be utilized, i don't see 4 cores lacking. there may be 8 cores but the per core performance will also play a role imo.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM