Internet issues - "This webpage is not available"

IBIubbleTea
Go to solution Solved by Searinex,

Okay this is what I'm using right now from my new ISP and home services.

They came with a modem box, wireless router (Tp-Link N300) and a phone line splitter/adapter. The only thing I replaced is the wireless router to the Tp-link AC1750. The only things I changed are, wifi names and password and the DNS thingy from today.The security settings are either set to default or auto. is that just fine or should I change it? 

haha really noobie at this. Sorry.

Np that's what we're here for. I use a Cisco Linksys E2500 (still hackable but not as bad).

you can use any router from the store, just plug it in to the old router by a Ethernet cord. As for router passwords, yes change it. you can change it under the admin tab in the router setting (the login user name on the router will stay the same) so no one can hack the router using the default login and password, and have your browser save the new password (so you can edit the setting when needed). I would use a randomly generated password.

default login: name: user; password: admin.

router can be found under Network in windows explore, Network Infrastructure.

As for wifi password use manual set up  (under wireless tab-> wireless security) and use WPA2/WPA mixed. Set a name for the wifi and use a password that you can remember that uses both letters and numbers, then hit save.

hope this helped.

This whole day I have been having internet issues. I have been getting these errors when using Google Chrome on the PC and Safari on my ipad and slow loading times for the websites also. On Google Chrome the error is "This webpage is not available DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" and on my iPad, could not connect to the server or sever cannot be found, something along those lines. I have three computers, two of them are wired and the other is wireless. They all had the same problem. it happened to about 70% of the websites we tried going to. Sometimes it would happen to Google, or YouTube, Linustechtips. It was random. But I haven't had it happen to all of the websites we went to at the same time, only to some of them. Also sometimes the pictures wouldn't load or the placement of everything is messed up yenno. 

It's my birthday today and this is putting me in a bad mood. 

The ISP I'm using is a 3rd party company that is renting Shaw's Cable lines. My parents registered a week ago and everything was fine expect for peak hours and today.

If you need more information, I will try my best to present it.

What's dumb is while typing this up, loading times for websites are back to normal and fast and also the error is not present anymore. is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? 

Thanks!

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

have you tried using a different DNS server?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Like what do you mean? 

If I'm about what that is, we have been using the same address and what not this whole time. Google.ca, linustechtips.com, youtube.com, twitch.tv etc 

You can set a different DNS servers up it your router.

Google DNS: 8.8.4.4 and/or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222

You can set a different DNS servers up it your router.

Google DNS: 8.8.4.4 and/or OpenDNS 208.67.222.222

So basically I should setup a DNS on my router? is the OpenDNS the way to go? 

So basically I should setup a DNS on my router? is the OpenDNS the way to go? 

you can use both, my router can add up to 4.

you can use both, my router can add up to 4.

I think I can only have one. Which one should I be using? My router is the TP-Link Archer C7

I think I can only have one. Which one should I be using? My router is the TP-Link Archer C7

Both are good so it makes no difference.

Both are good so it makes no difference.

Just wondering but did you register for a OpenDNS account? Should I or does it not matter? 

I'm still not sure what this DNS thing is. Didn't have this problem until today. My ISP came with a router but it was complete garbage so I bought a new one. Is it because I didn't set it up properly? 

Just wondering but did you register for a OpenDNS account? Should I or does it not matter? 

I'm still not sure what this DNS thing is. Didn't have this problem until today. My ISP came with a router but it was complete garbage so I bought a new one. Is it because I didn't set it up properly? 

no you don't need a openDNS account to use the DNS server. this video tech tip by twit will tell you about DNS. https://youtu.be/znvuYJSoiLI?t=1h15s

Also get a new router, the all ISP router suck and can be hacked very easily, even if you just plug the new router into the ISP router it will work 10 time better and Wifi will be much better as well.

no you don't need a openDNS account to use the DNS server. this video tech tip by twit will tell you about DNS. https://youtu.be/znvuYJSoiLI?t=1h15s

Also get a new router, the all ISP router suck and can be hacked very easily, even if you just plug the new router into the ISP router it will work 10 time better and Wifi will be much better as well.

They came with a modem box, wireless router (Tp-Link N300) and a phone line splitter/adapter. The only thing I replaced is the wireless router to the Tp-link AC1750. The only things I changed are, wifi names and password and the DNS thingy from today.The security settings are either set to default or auto. is that just fine or should I change it? 

Np that's what we're here for. I use a Cisco Linksys E2500 (still hackable but not as bad).

you can use any router from the store, just plug it in to the old router by a Ethernet cord. As for router passwords, yes change it. you can change it under the admin tab in the router setting (the login user name on the router will stay the same) so no one can hack the router using the default login and password, and have your browser save the new password (so you can edit the setting when needed). I would use a randomly generated password.

As for wifi password use manual set up  (under wireless tab-> wireless security) and use WPA2/WPA mixed. Set a name for the wifi and use a password that you can remember that uses both letters and numbers, then hit save.

hope this helped.

hope this helped.

Just a quick question. I'm looking at the both the OpenDNS and GoogleDNS, why is there two different settings? For GoogleDNS, should I be using the IPv4 or IPv6? 

Open DNS

GoogleDNS 

IPv4

IPv6

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

Edit: Another question came up.

In my wireless router settings this is how i setup my DNS. 

http://i.imgur.com/MNkZtUN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/jydAaZm.jpg

At first I didn't set it up in the DHCP settings. I'm guessing when I did set it up in DNS Benchmark. The GoogleDNS numbers were solid green. If I didn't do the DHCP settings, the solid green was on the local network one. Is this the ideal way to set it up?

http://i.imgur.com/FWyyLaw.jpg

Also for my internet configuration. I'm not using the wireless router my ISP gave me. I have it in storage. I have my modem connected to my new wireless router(Archer C7)  I'm guessing that's fine right? 

Sorry I'm just getting a bit confused about a few things.

Thanks for your help!

Just a quick question. I'm looking at the both the OpenDNS and GoogleDNS, why is there two different settings? For GoogleDNS, should I be using the IPv4 or IPv6? 

Open DNS

GoogleDNS 

IPv4

IPv6

• 2001:4860:4860::8888
  • 2001:4860:4860::8844

Here a AFAP video explaining IPv4 vs IPv6.

In short IPv4 is more compatible then IPv6. but IPv6 is faster and more reliable by removing overhead.

use IPv6 if you can. My router can only use IPv4.

Here a AFAP video explaining IPv4 vs IPv6.

In short IPv4 is more compatible then IPv6. but IPv6 is faster and more reliable by removing overhead.

use IPv6 if you can. My router can only use IPv4.

I added something else to the comment. I guess you didn't see it.

I added something else to the comment. I guess you didn't see it.

Ya, it looks to be setup right. Just save it and you should not have any DNS errors anymore.