Is i3~4360 a valid upgrade over A10-5800k?

Go to solution Solved by harrynowl,

Just stick with your A10 it's about as fast as an i3 in multithreaded tasks.

Hey, guys :) So, I'm at a point in my life where I feel I could really use a refresh of my computer to kick-start myself into programming and some other ventures, but I would have a very limited budget so I'm not sure if there would be any actual performance gains in doing so. In short, the question is this - would an i3-4360 perform (noticeably?) better than an A10-5800k in any serious multi threaded tasks?

I very well know that i3 is not a full on four core CPU, but that would most definitely be the limit of my budget right now. And that's taking into account that I sell my current CPU+MB combo (that's A10-5800k and ASRock FM2A75 Pro4) for a decent price (a bit over 100e, hopefully). I could get the mentioned i3 for ~120e, while even the junior i5-4430 cannot be found at less than 165e. (Which is kind of disturbing, knowing that i5-4440 was 150e almost a year ago. What the heck, intel? O.o )

You've probably guessed that the idea is to get started on LGA1150 with i3 and then later I could swap it out for a senior i5 or even an i7, if circumstances allow.

So, what do you guys reckon? I know that the i3 would pretty much kick my a10's bottom in any single-threaded task, but would it actually be a valid upgrade for multithreaded tasks or would there be no gain in sight until an i5?

(If you do think the i3 is a step up... I would also need an LGA1150 mobo for ~100e, would there even be one that would be of a good enough quality for an i5/i7 later on? VRM-wise especially... I would be looking for a microATX one. I want to reduce the volume of my desk that's being occupied by my computer, but mITX seems too small for me, with just that one PCIex16 slot and (usually?) no more than 2 RAM slots.)

Would wait for Skylake i3 with even better upgrade path and DDR4 support.

Well, yeah, waiting is always an option. The original plan was to wait for Zen and then see which way to move forward.

But I would argue that I would have a good upgrade path on LGA1150, too, with i5 and i7 Broadwells? If I'm not mistaken about the LGA1150 Broadwell options that will come :S

Since the A10-5800K also has graphics cores, i would say that for gaming it isn't much of an upgrade. On the other hand, if you are looking for a reliable CPU, i would definitely go for Intel.

Cats are like tattoos. First you get one, and one year later you've got 12. And if you want to get rid of them you have to use lasers.

Just stick with your A10 it's about as fast as an i3 in multithreaded tasks.

That's what I thought, but still wanted to check with more people. Thanks :)

Since the A10-5800K also has graphics cores, i would say that for gaming it isn't much of an upgrade. On the other hand, if you are looking for a reliable CPU, i would definitely go for Intel.

You say that as if AMD is in anyway unreliable... I have not had that experience. I love my A10, it has introduced me into a world of possibilities coming from my previous PC and has always been dependable. It has been going strong for 2 and half years now, sitting constantly slightly overclocked at 4,1ghz.

Just wanted to defend the red colours for a bit there, since I'm a bit of a red team guy myself. You probably just needed a different word there, as I assume you were actually talking about performance differences.

As I thought, it seems that not many, if anyone, would take the path of going from the A10 to an i3... Thank you all for joining me in this short discussion :)