Windows 8.1 OEM key on Retail ISO

RedSphyxis

My friend gave me an OEM-key for windows 8.1 pro will I be able to use this key to cleanly install 8.1 on a new system using a retail ISO on bootable flashdrive?

I remember reading someone had a problem "product key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows 8.1" somewhere here before

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

yes

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

That issue you're referring to probably occurred because someone tried to activate a retail iso of windows using an OEM windows product key.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

yes

have you tried it before? 

I never really tried an oem key before so I'm having my doubts

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

That issue you're referring to probably occurred because someone tried to activate a retail iso of windows using an OEM windows product key.

so it should still work even though I downloaded an ISO from an outside source?

checked the sha1 it's untouched so it's basically good.

have you tried it before? 

I never really tried an oem key before so I'm having my doubts

Yes, using 8.1 right now. There is no difference between a retail and OEM ISO, heck i'm pretty sure that doesn't even exist, just "windows 8/8.1 iso" 

so it should still work even though I downloaded an ISO from an outside source?

checked the sha1 it's untouched so it's basically good.

you can get a legit iso from MS http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I can affirm to this. The only Windows OS that it mattered on was Windows XP.

Yes, using 8.1 right now. There is no difference between a retail and OEM ISO, heck i'm pretty sure that doesn't even exist, just "windows 8/8.1 iso" 

There is a difference, at least on my MSDN page, VL, Retail and OEM Keys are classified differently.

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X @4GHz cooled by a Corsair H110i GT | MBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB 2400MHz) | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 | SSD: Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD | HDD: 1TB Western Digital Black Drive | PSU: Corsair HX750i | Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D 

There is a difference, at least on my MSDN page, VL, Retail and OEM Keys are classified differently.

yes, the keys are, not the ISOs/installion media though.

I can affirm to this. The only Windows OS that it mattered on was Windows XP.

well I'll just have to try it later on after the parts for my build finally arrive.

IDK if its the same with windows 8 and 7, but on OEM windows 7 keys you cant get an iso to download.

Are you sure?

I am sure you can activate it just fine. When i entered my OEM key into the recovery tool, it tells me i need to go to my manufacturer.

I am sure you can activate it just fine. When i entered my OEM key into the recovery tool, it tells me i need to go to my manufacturer.

from what I gathered from different forums is that

• you can install an OEM key through a retail dvd/iso
  • but the OEM key does not allow upgrading it has to be a clean install(if you want to upgrade you'd need a retail key)
  • this is why you can't install windows using the link microsoft provides since it assumes that you are trying to upgrade your current OS into 8.1.(which an OEM key does not allow)
  • Windows 8 OEM keys are transferable(machine to machine), but the old machine's OS would be deactivated. Unlike windows 7(or xp? not sure about this one) where in retail keys are the only transferable keys wherein OEM keys are permanent.

this is some really confusing shit I've gathered so many mixed/vague answers throughout the internet

My friend gave me an OEM-key for windows 8.1 pro will I be able to use this key to cleanly install 8.1 on a new system using a retail ISO on bootable flashdrive?

I remember reading someone had a problem "product key cannot be used to install a retail version of windows 8.1" somewhere here before

Yes, yes it will work. This isn't XP anymore, you can use a key from any channel as long as it's the same edition.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.