Sub $800 Canadian AMD Build for Streaming, Work, Multimedia and Light Gaming Needs

Ifeagan

Hey guys,

Opinions on this build are needed (as it is my first). I compiled a build based on needs and budget and preliminary research. I hope to be able to stream console games (X1/PS4 and retro (i think 720p with good quality audio/skype and webcam would be reasonable) along with use as a work computer (Arcgis, Autocad 3D, Sketchup and MS Office etc.). I would also like to be able to play less demanding games on high settings and new games on medium settings with solid FPS for both. If you could make any alterations without expanding budget please let me know. All purchases will made in Canada and have limited retailers to NCIX (they seem to have FREE SHIPPING (which is nice) and Canada Computers for simplicity (Local pick up available).

Thanks in advance for your attention/suggestions.

(No OS or peripherals needed in this build)

Here is the part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/H6tNwP

Cheers,

IF

It's a good build for your intentions.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Hey guys,

Opinions on this build are needed (as it is my first). I compiled a build based on needs and budget and preliminary research. I hope to be able to stream console games (X1/PS4 and retro (i think 720p with good quality audio/skype and webcam would be reasonable) along with use as a work computer (Arcgis, Autocad 3D, Sketchup and MS Office etc.). I would also like to be able to play less demanding games on high settings and new games on medium settings with solid FPS for both. If you could make any alterations without expanding budget please let me know. All purchases will made in Canada and have limited retailers to NCIX (they seem to have FREE SHIPPING (which is nice) and Canada Computers for simplicity (Local pick up available).

Thanks in advance for your attention/suggestions.

(No OS or peripherals needed in this build)

Here is the part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/H6tNwP

Cheers,

IF

That should be great. You will be able to play pretty much any game at high settings with that GPU.

Hey I was wondering if you could squeeze in a SSD and salvage a HDD from another PC or possibly get a second had one, it really would make a better experience for all the tasks

Project Devils Delight

Mobo:ASUS B85 PRO Gamer  CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k   RAM: 8GB Kingston HYPERX Beast 1600Mhz    GPU PowerColor Devils 13 Dual Core 290X

Case: Corsair Air 540 strips Storage: Samsung 256GB SSD and a 1TB WD Black (2013 Model)                                                                                                       

That should be great. You will be able to play pretty much any game at high settings with that GPU.

Yea, the R9 280 is on sale right now at  CC so I thoguht it would be a solid (yet cost effective) choice.  However my biggest concern/confusion is the selection of the MOBO.  I am actually completely lost on that selection to be honest, the board seems to get decent reviews on PC Partpicker, but wanted some more input on it (as this is my first build I want one that is easy to work with and relatively feature rich w/o breaking the bank)

Hey I was wondering if you could squeeze in a SSD and salvage a HDD from another PC or possibly get a second had one, it really would make a better experience for all the tasks

Yes... this is #1 on the upgrade list.  Also a optical drive as a practical measure (people still send me them/request them with data for work).

Yea, the R9 280 is on sale right now at  CC so I thoguht it would be a solid (yet cost effective) choice.  However my biggest concern/confusion is the selection of the MOBO.  I am actually completely lost on that selection to be honest, the board seems to get decent reviews on PC Partpicker, but wanted some more input on it (as this is my first build I want one that is easy to work with and relatively feature rich w/o breaking the bank)

I have a Gigabyte GA-78LMT which is similar. It gets the job done but it does not have USB 3 which was my only issue. You should be ok as long as that board has USB 3.

Can you not squeeze an i3 in there?

From what I have read/heard on the interwebs arent intels best for pure gaming (something about stronger cores) and AMD FX equal performance/slightly better for multi-tasking, streaming and the like?  I could be (likely am) misinformed... also wouldn't the switch to intel push me above my already limited budget?  I know that  corners could be cut in the build with my case but I wanted a nice one as it will be exposed on a desk top.  Buget really can't go over the $800 mark.