Do i bother upgrading?

NightKnight

Hello LTT forum!

this is a pretty small post but i wanted to know weather upgrading from my evga 750ti 2gb to an MSI GeForce GTX960 100 million edition TwinFrozr, The price doesnt really matter but the main thing i need to know is if the 960 actually preforms better than a 750 in any meaningful way

look at benchmarks. do you benefit from more memory?....

wow... pretty empty here...

Unless you need more VRAM then don't

More vram? Both of those have 2GB. The 960 is much more powerful than the 750 Ti.

Thats all i needed to hear, thanks a lot man :)

It would be an decent upgrade, but not a huge one, GTX 970 or R9 390 now that would be an upgrade from 750 Ti.

I would just save my money and get a 980 Ti.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

What GrimNeo said. I'd save up and buy a high end card whenever possible.

You know, its quite possible he doesn't have the money nor the means to save for a high-end card.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

You know, its quite possible he doesn't have the money nor the means to save for a high-end card.

Doubt he has the money as well or he'd be considering a higher end card. :P

Though I'd guess he has a means of saving money in some way at least. Even if its acquiring small amounts of money at a time, I find that saving up over a longer period of time to get better parts is nearly always the better option as opposed to buying low-mid tier parts and needing to upgrade more frequently. I would know, I made the jump from an HD5570 to SLI 970s, and now a 290X. Making the jump to better cards is great if at all possible.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Doubt he has the money as well or he'd be considering a higher end card. :P

Though I'd guess he has a means of saving money in some way at least. Even if its acquiring small amounts of money at a time, I find that saving up over a longer period of time to get better parts is nearly always the better option as opposed to buying low-mid tier parts and needing to upgrade more frequently. I would know, I made the jump from an HD5570 to SLI 970s, and now a 290X. Making the jump to better cards is great if at all possible.

Would investing in a 970 be worth it? i know about the 3.5 RAM thing but i dont plan to use EXACTLY 4GB OR MY WHOLE SETUP WILL EXPLODE IN A FLAMING BALL OF DEATH :P

Would investing in a 970 be worth it? i know about the 3.5 RAM thing but i dont plan to use EXACTLY 4GB OR MY WHOLE SETUP WILL EXPLODE IN A FLAMING BALL OF DEATH :P

I would say its worth it, 750ti to 960 is an upgrade but not too big and honestly for the money you are spending its not worth it IMO

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Would investing in a 970 be worth it? i know about the 3.5 RAM thing but i dont plan to use EXACTLY 4GB OR MY WHOLE SETUP WILL EXPLODE IN A FLAMING BALL OF DEATH [emoji14]

The 970 is a beast of a card for the price. I had an issue when I went sli @ 1440p with vram but when I used a single at 1080p it was great.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

I've been against everyone buying the 970 ever since the whole gimped VRAM thing happened (that's why I got rid of my SLI 970s :P) but I think getting a 970 would be worth it as opposed to something like a 960 or whatever.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Probably the best option would be to grab a 280X. IT has more Vram then the cheaper 960, is faster by a little margin. BUT, it is also darn cheap atm due to 200 series cards being forcibly sold out. Or a 290 TRI-X OC from sapphire. That is a monster of a card that is around 970 performance levels, for nearly 40 USD less

Stay with the 750 Ti. Wait and see what the GTX 950 delivers which will be in the $150 range because it maybe the sweet spot for upcoming DirectX 12 titles. 

I've been against everyone buying the 970 ever since the whole gimped VRAM thing happened (that's why I got rid of my SLI 970s :P) but I think getting a 970 would be worth it as opposed to something like a 960 or whatever.

Since i only plan to use about 3gb the VRAM isnt much of an issue and like everyone is saying that its a good value card, i understant how the locked VRAM could be an issue for those who plan to run AAA games at 4K or something but i only have a single BenQ GW2255 so i think ive made up my mind

GTX 970 is out of question right now, unless you have G-Sync monitor. Even though I tend to use NVIDIA's GPUs, in this situation I would go with R9 390.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Since i only plan to use about 3gb the VRAM isnt much of an issue and like everyone is saying that its a good value card, i understant how the locked VRAM could be an issue for those who plan to run AAA games at 4K or something but i only have a single BenQ GW2255 so i think ive made up my mind

Get a R9 390. Better price/performance ratio. It's cheaper, faster, and has a full 4Gb of ram.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

GTX 970 is out of question right now, unless you have G-Sync monitor. Even though I tend to use NVIDIA's GPUs, in this situation I would go with R9 390.

The reason im looking for a gtx is because i am building an nvidia themed build.... maybe i should have put that in the topic .-. im painting my case black and adding the nvidia claw and all the stuff

The reason im looking for a gtx is because i am building an nvidia themed build.... maybe i should have put that in the topic .-. im painting my case black and adding the nvidia claw and all the stuff

In that case I would step up and buy 980. I would not go with 970. Nowadays 3,5 GB may suffice, but who knows later, when newer titles are released, whenever you have to use rest of the VRAM that 0,5 GB and exceed those magical 3,5 GB, many people throughout the web report stuttering.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB