Using a OS again

UNuniQueLY
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Exactly! The last thing you want is to be be trap buying a new license.

If you really want Windows 7 for cheap, and you are NOT a student, see if you have an old Windows XP not in use somewhere, if you do, you are illegible for Windows 7 Upgrade. The Upgrade license of Windows 7, no mater what was the license of the previous Windows, will be retail. So you can transfer it to another computer. Yes you do a clean install with Windows 7 Upgrade, if you wonder.

Same for Windows 8 Upgrade, but OEM is cheaper if not mistaken.

If I build a computer now and later on I decide to build a new build can I recycle the operating system?(not use it twice but move it to the new one.)

It depends on the OS.

Its Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

You could call Microsoft to reset the key.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No, you shouldn't be able to.

What if I keep the old harddrive?

You can change hardware with an OEM key. I've switched out video cards, added new ones, changed drives, etc. And the key still works.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

You can change hardware with an OEM key. I've switched out video cards, added new ones, changed drives, etc. And the key still works.

So let's say I recycle everything but get a new cpu and motherboard will the os work still.

It all boils down to drivers.

If the motherboard is a similar platform with similar integrated devices. It will work.

Else? Heads will roll.

Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k 4.8GHz | 16GiB | GTX470 SLi @ 800MHz| m4 128GB + 240GB 2.5" HDD | Arch Linux + Windows 8

800D + HX850v2 | EK Supreme-HF v2 | 2x EK FC-470GTX (serial) | Black Ice GTX 360 + 3x AP-15 | U2311h | 6Gv2 + G500 | T50-RP

So If get a full version instead of a oem version I can use it again went I upgrade.

For Windows Vista and 7, OEM license is tied to your motherboard. As long as your motherboard stays the same, you are 100% legit in reusing that license of Windows.

For Windows 8, you can convert your OEM license to Personal Use License, by agreeing to the following license agreement from Microsoft:

http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx

The Personal Use License, allows you to transfer the license of Windows to another computer that belongs to you.

For more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/OEM/en/licensing/sblicensing/Pages/personal-use-license.aspx#fbid=zI6ThVzo0Aa

It all boils down to drivers.

If the motherboard is a similar platform with similar integrated devices. It will work.

Else? Heads will roll.

So if I plan to get a new cpu and motherboard what do I need to look at to know that drivers are similar to my old motherboard.

So if I plan to get a new cpu and motherboard what do I need to look at to know that drivers are similar to my old motherboard.

Comparing chipsets, controllers, etc.

It would seam you trying to circumvent the the Activation System of Windows. Well for one, don't complain about Windows having a more stricter DRM system.

And also, it goes against forum rules.

If you want a transferable license of Windows: Get Windows 8 OEM and you agree to the Personal Usage license agreement, or buy Windows 7 retail.

So let's say I recycle everything but get a new cpu and motherboard will the os work still.

It's the motherboard that matters. It's tied down to that.

Just call microsoft and they should reset it.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Guys, just FYI, he's not talking about the OS license, he is talking about the actual OS installation.

Maximus V Gene | i5-2500k 4.8GHz | 16GiB | GTX470 SLi @ 800MHz| m4 128GB + 240GB 2.5" HDD | Arch Linux + Windows 8

800D + HX850v2 | EK Supreme-HF v2 | 2x EK FC-470GTX (serial) | Black Ice GTX 360 + 3x AP-15 | U2311h | 6Gv2 + G500 | T50-RP

Ok so to my understanding from what read here and other places windows 7 oem went its install its tied to my mobo and can't be replace unless something goes wrong with my mobo and I have to replace it with a identical one. If I want the freedom to to move my os to new build's I need a windows 7 full or windows 8 oem. 

Exactly! The last thing you want is to be be trap buying a new license.

If you really want Windows 7 for cheap, and you are NOT a student, see if you have an old Windows XP not in use somewhere, if you do, you are illegible for Windows 7 Upgrade. The Upgrade license of Windows 7, no mater what was the license of the previous Windows, will be retail. So you can transfer it to another computer. Yes you do a clean install with Windows 7 Upgrade, if you wonder.

Same for Windows 8 Upgrade, but OEM is cheaper if not mistaken.

You may need a new product key.

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd