MX Red or Brown?

Kermit
Go to solution Solved by Gale,

It's almost 100% up to personal preference. I highly recommend you go to a PC store and try out mechanical keyboards they have on display before you drop your hard-earned cash on an expensive keyboard. If there aren't any, you can buy one of these.

Im looking for a mechanical keyboard for around or under $100 and cant decide between red or brown switches? Its for gaming/everyday use. 

I appreciate the help thanks! 

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

personally prefer reds for gaming

but fuck both in particular

cherry mx blues FTW

"release your inner doge"

-doge 2069

Im looking for a mechanical keyboard for around or under $100 and cant decide between red or brown switches? Its for gaming/everyday use. 

I appreciate the help thanks! 

Check out the link in my sig. Should help you decide.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

It's up to you. We don't know what you prefer personally. I like browns more, many of my friends like reds more.

"Rawr XD"

It's up to you. We don't know what you prefer personally. I like browns more, many of my friends like reds more.

Is there a brown you like in particular?

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

cherry mx blues FTW

bro chill with the swears lmao

best all in one use that is easily found are cherry browns in my opinion. I like some others but they are a pain to find in a variety of keyboards. 

Fuck that lel

cherry mx blues FTW

Tooooo loud doe...

I like my mx reds.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It's almost 100% up to personal preference. I highly recommend you go to a PC store and try out mechanical keyboards they have on display before you drop your hard-earned cash on an expensive keyboard. If there aren't any, you can buy one of these.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Its a very personal choice, for me I always liked the idea of browns but when I tried them in a store they just felt janky to me so I favoured reds however I decided to order a switch tester and after playing with it for a couple of weeks I ended up liking browns more.

One thing I have yet to try though is reds with thick O-rings so they bottom out just after switching, the theory being the feedback bump becomes irrelevant then and you get the silky smooth red feel, the theoretical downside being you cant "float" the switch around the trigger point as easily and bottoming out becomes nessisary.

Basically I recommend getting a switch tester and playing around with it for a week or two to decided for yourself because a couple of minutes in a store trying them out isn't enough.

P.S. If you are looking for a custom KB keep an eye out for the Gateron MX switches they're cherry clones but feel nicer (unlike the Kailh ones).

no, fuck tthat in prticular

"release your inner doge"

-doge 2069

IMHO, can't go wrong with browns or blues, although getting a switch tester is also a good idea.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

I've never seen that before, I will definitely get this product before a mech keyboard.

thanks

I find the spring rate too high for reds. They want to push up too hard for me for a natural feel. Blues I use for typing but am looking for browns to be the best fit for me. The buckle thing with blues and browns lets me know and feel the key. That way my guy doesn't stop moving if I'm not pressing hard enough. I have a light touch for faster movements so the browns are for me I suppose. I have a current problem with my G13 with rubber domes. My shift key or G15 comes up if I'm not pressing hard enough. It's bothersome having to bash it back down.