IPS worth the extra $100+?

vanwazltoff

I am a person that puts a lot of money into my tower but i dont put nearly that kind of dough into my peripherals. I bought an Asus VS228H-P in anticipation for Borderlands 2, its a 1920x1080, LED back lit, 8 bit, has hdmi dvi and vga, pretty descent viewing angles for a TN, 5ms responce time, really good color reproduction compared to every other monitor i own or have owned, i beleive its, i wish the blacks were deeper, decently slim. All in all its a great band for the buck, got it for $120 on Amazon. Honestly I dont know if you can beat the value of this monitor for what you get.

What makes an IPS better? Typically the usual answers are its 8-bit instead of 6, bad viewing angles, bad color reproduction, less bright [had to turn it down it was so bright], none of these are a problem with this particular TN panel. I dont have an IPS for comparison but I am guessing the only difference between my VS an IPS is another 5 degrees of viewing angles and color looking a bit deeper.

What are you thoughts on this?

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

The Asus VS228H-P is a 6-bit panel.

An IPS panels are 8-bit panels, with the exception of PLS and eIPS which are 6-bit.

IPS panels offers better colors. Many models features even color processors and Look Up Tables to help you get the best color based on your settings of the monitor.

If you think your monitor is fine, then you haven't seen better. Usually (this varies form monitor to monitor, some are better at some color than others): red appears orange, gray pictures has a tint of blue on the gray, green have yellow into them, blue is not rich enough.

As you mentioned IPS panel have a wider view angle at 178 degree.. the difference is that it's for all directions. (see here:

, and you can also see here with how the IPS panel displays better and more accurate colors:
)

Also, you can find IPS panels with better back light technology over the sucky white-LED back light which adds a tint of blue on colors and whites, like high grade CFLs or GB-LED (exact green and blue with a coating of red phosphor, put very close together to output a white light), or if you have the money for it: RGB-LED (like GB-LED, but instead of red phosphor, exact red LED is used). If white LED is used, then it's some high grade white LED, where the blue tint is reduced, by using better white LEDs, and white phosphor layer.

Also, as IPS panel are usually targeted at professionals, you get the entire package:

-> Better warranty

-> Higher build quality

-> Non glossy anything

-> Fully adjustable stand

-> 0 wobble

-> On select models: Pre-color calibrated sRGB and/or Adobe RGB color profile, read for you to pick once you install the monitor for awesome colors

Check out also this video:

Although, your monitor might downgrade the IPS panel :D

(Note, the guy did not use the Adobe RGB or sRGB color profile which comes pre-calibrated with the monitor. So he wasted a bit of time adjusting the monitor, and would have ended up with better results.. I know as I have this monitor on my desk)

its kinda bugging me, this is by far the best TN panel i have ever seen but i dont have an IPS to compare it to. i have quite a few large screen TVs, what TV brands use IPS panels [if any], i have 2 Sonys, a newer Vizio and an older LG [LG is crap, major ghosting problems]

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

TV's does a lot of processing to the image so that the image doesn't look like crap, as the resolution is way too low for the screen resolution. Also, color accuracy is the least concern from TV manufacture, it's all about how it looks good compared to other TV's so that it looks better on store shelf compared to others.

Sadly, I can't tell you how it will compare to an IPS as there isn't any in depth monitor review sites. In depth monitor review sites usually only request interesting models... so usually no TN panel unless it has something special or there is a great demand from the site users.