Good quality, not too expensive laptop backpack

I've been looking around for some decent laptop bag makes, and have stumbled across two that seem to dominate (at least on Amazon) Targus and Swiss Gear. I can't really decide between the two makes. A problem I found reading through the reviews was that both of these makes seem to make bags in which the stitching in the shoulder straps apparently came loose easily after a short amount of time and use. These reviews are not very assuring as there are a lot of them stating this problem. For years I've been using a simple Hi-Gear backpack that is still fine to this day, however I'd like a backpack with a laptop sleeve with plenty of padding. Ideally a price tag of nothing more than £40 - £50. If anyone could advise me on the good brands and weather Targus and Swiss Gear are actually any good I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, GR412

My sister has a Targus bag for her laptop and it's endured two years so far of carrying a 17" gaming laptop, countless textbooks, and slamming into poor students who didn't move in time. I'd say their bags are of decent quality. I don't know how much padding her bag has, though. I'm going to assume that it's still in very good condition because she plans to take it with her to college.

EDIT: She has a Citygear laptop backpack, and it does have a padded sleeve for a laptop. On Amazon it's about $60USD.

I have a Swiss Gear laptop/messenger bag that I've been using for a year so far. I don't have a laptop to put in it, but it can carry everything I need for my classes without an issue. From what I can tell, it has very solid build quality. It cost me $50 USD but I think it's well worth it. This bag has two compartments, both of which are padded, but the inner one features some extra padding. My only complaint about my bag is that the metal bar on the hook for the shoulder strap can pop out of place if you aren't careful, but it isn't too difficult to put it back in place.

EDIT: My bag is a Swiss Gear Lugano Messenger bag, and it's a bit over $55 USD on Amazon.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

My sister has a Targus bag for her laptop and it's endured two years so far of carrying a 17" gaming laptop, countless textbooks, and slamming into poor students who didn't move in time. I'd say their bags are of decent quality. I don't know how much padding her bag has, though. I'm going to assume that it's still in very good condition because she plans to take it with her to college.

EDIT: She has a Citygear laptop backpack, and it does have a padded sleeve for a laptop. On Amazon it's about $60USD.

I have a Swiss Gear laptop/messenger bag that I've been using for a year so far. I don't have a laptop to put in it, but it can carry everything I need for my classes without an issue. From what I can tell, it has very solid build quality. It cost me $50 USD but I think it's well worth it. This bag has two compartments, both of which are padded, but the inner one features some extra padding. My only complaint about my bag is that the metal bar on the hook for the shoulder strap can pop out of place if you aren't careful, but it isn't too difficult to put it back in place.

EDIT: My bag is a Swiss Gear Lugano Messenger bag, and it's a bit over $55 USD on Amazon.

Hmm fair enough, I have to say I do trust people on this more rather than Amazon reviews. Do you have any preference between the two makes? Or would you say they're pretty much the same in terms of build quality?

I haven't used the Targus bag myself, but I'd say that both bags have very good build quality.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I have a Targus Feren backpack and I love it. I purchased it back in 2007 and have used it very frequently since then. It only started showing fraying about a year ago, what can you expect out of something so old? it still is completely functional and I used it all the time. I bought it right before I went into college and used it every day for 4 years, and I put it through its paces with as many heavy books as I could cram into it at once. After that I still use it whenever I take my laptop anywhere out of the house, it has a 1/4 inch padded sleeve for my laptop and 1/2 inch padding on the back of the bag to protect the laptop and make it comfortable no matter the weight in it. Has all the pockets you could possibly need and is of high quality, one of my best purchases.

This is the one I use. It's pretty nice http://amzn.com/B004AM624C

I have had it for 2 years and its still like new.

Unfortunately my laptop is 17.3 inches, otherwise I may have considered it.