2 or 4 gb of vram for 1080p gaming

Do you guys think its worth na extra 40€ for the 4 gb version of the mid-rage (200$) gaming cards? I dont do mods or anything and i only play at 1080p. Thanks for the help

4GB is better, though if you're referring to 960s or such, don't even bother with the 4gb version, the card isn't powerful enough to utilize all the VRAM, not to mention a 970 isn't that much more expensive than a 4gb 960.

Now if you planned to do something like 4GB 960 SLI then you'd probably be able to use up the 4GB of VRAM, but at that point you'd be better off going with a single more powerful gpu.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

These days I wouldn't go less than 4GB even on a modern mid-range card, you might not be able to use all 4GB at reasonable frame rates but you will likely go over 2GB.

I would recommend 3gb, That is the amount of Vram GPU's in that range can handle.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

3Gb or 4GB - Coming from a person using 2GB at 1080p

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just get the R9 280 or 280x. 3GB is fine. 2GB  is usually fine too, but consdiering the 280 is cheaper and basically as good (and better in some games where the extra 1GB comes into play), it's the option I would choose.

Do you guys think its worth na extra 40€ for the 4 gb version of the mid-rage (200$) gaming cards? I dont do mods or anything and i only play at 1080p. Thanks for the help

2GB is pushing it for modern gaming. However, in a year or two, 3/4GB of VRAM will be required for 1080p (if people are still using 1080p by then).

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Vram size doesnt matter with windows 10. Atleast with gaming.

GTX970 (4GB VRAM, take a close look at MEM: usage)

Explanation:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn894184(v=vs.85).aspx

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

Vram size doesnt matter with windows 10. Atleast with gaming.

GTX970 (4GB VRAM, take a close look at MEM: usage)

Explanation:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn894184(v=vs.85).aspx

"virtual Vram" is like downloading more system RAM, You cant.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

if you find a 280x for the same price as the 960 2gb, (though it uses more power) I'd go for that. 2gb seems to be not enough for some games, especially for console ports that are caching heavily into vram.

"virtual Vram" is like downloading more system RAM, You cant.

Every GPU has "virtual VRAM" just like every PC has "virtual system ram" in that when the current ram is overflowed, it goes down to the next fastest form of storage. On VRAM that's system ram, and on system ram that's your SSD (or your HDD). This isn't anything new. It's just slower and you get huge frame dips when it happens. The GTX 970 is different though because it has 3.5GB of full speed vram and then another 0.5 GB of slow vram that's basically the same speed as system ram. You get little microstutters due to the display driver trying to address that last little 0.5GB of VRAM when it doesn't have to (or if you're under high usage). It's not a big problem, but some people notice it. This may have been fixed with a driver update though.

Every GPU has "virtual VRAM" just like every PC has "virtual system ram" in that when the current ram is overflowed, it goes down to the next fastest form of storage. On VRAM that's system ram, and on system ram that's your SSD (or your HDD). This isn't anything new. It's just slower and you get huge frame dips when it happens. The GTX 970 is different though because it has 3.5GB of full speed vram and then another 0.5 GB of slow vram that's basically the same speed as system ram. You get little microstutters due to the display driver trying to address that last little 0.5GB of VRAM when it doesn't have to (or if you're under high usage). It's not a big problem, but some people notice it. This may have been fixed with a driver update though.

He said that Vram size wont matter it Win10, The amount of Vram will always be a factor.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

He said that Vram size wont matter it Win10, The amount of Vram will always be a factor.

WDDM 2.0 only needs 10% of the bandwidth we needed before. even ddr3 ram is fast enough to have 0 performance decrease while being used as buffer.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

I thought we all know that;

280X > 960 @ 200$

390  > 970 @ 350$

980TI > Fury X @ 650$

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

WDDM 2.0 only needs 10% of the bandwidth we needed before. even ddr3 ram is fast enough to have 0 performance decrease while being used as buffer.

It would be the other way around, The Vram is the buffer and RAM is more like storage.

You would still need faster memory for things that happens on screen.

Without making textures smaller in some way,  we wont be able to cut back that much of the bandwidth.

My Gaming PC

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I thought we all know that;

280X > 960 @ 200$

390  > 970 @ 350$

980TI > Fury X @ 650$

That last one is still up in the air. The FuryX hasn't been out long enough and I heard that most of the tests were done on pre-release drivers, one of the drawbacks to trying to release as early as possible. I'm still waiting for Luke to do his thing when they finally get the card and release their performance numbers, not because I think he can overclock more than others, but because it'll be later than the initial performance tests and likely will be run on better drivers.

That last one is still up in the air. The FuryX hasn't been out long enough and I heard that most of the tests were done on pre-release drivers, one of the drawbacks to trying to release as early as possible. I'm still waiting for Luke to do his thing when they finally get the card and release their performance numbers, not because I think he can overclock more than others, but because it'll be later than the initial performance tests and likely will be run on better drivers.

As you have seen I'm not a brand fanboy.

The 280X (or 380?) and the 390 completely smash the 960 and the 970 when it comes to performance for price.

Just as my 980TI Gigabyte card overclocked smashes any Fury X out there and even the Titan X.

The fury has been a let down for all of us, maybe AMD can do something with the 400-series card but I won't get my hopes high.

AMD has always ruled in the low+med section and now even in the high section with the 390, but they suck at the enthusiast class.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

2GB is pushing it for modern gaming. However, in a year or two, 3/4GB of VRAM will be required for 1080p (if people are still using 1080p by then).

1080p is still going to last a long time since 1440p and mainly 4k are require realy big and expensive monitors wich are not what the average consumer seeks