I need some advice!

Go to solution Solved by stconquest,

$1700 is a hell of a lot for that system.  A decent i5 4690K + GTX 980Ti would generously fit in that budget. 

Where do you live?

$1730:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT 113.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial BX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($88.41 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB ACX 2.0+ Video Card  ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($117.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1677.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-03 05:51 EDT-0400

Hey guys, 

I'm new to the forum, so i'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes.

Going to buy a new system, building it myself. I want to spend around $1.700,-

Here's what I found so far, what do you guys think of it?

• SSD: Samsung 850 EVO series 250GB
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K - 4GHz - Socket 1150 Unlocked
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
  • Power supply: Cooler Master V750 - 750 Watt
  • Harddrive: Western Digital Green - 2TB
  • Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY Blue 4GB - PC3-12800 - DIMM (4x)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z97 GAMING 5
  • Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110i

Let me know what you guys think, i'm open for advice!  :)

Cheers!

pretty decent all around.

if you had the budget i'd try to go DDR4 instead because DDR3 is going to start dying off.

follow your topic, quote people if you want replies.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

if you had the budget i'd try to go DDR4 instead because DDR3 is going to start dying off.

I always tell people, you don't need to follow your threads.

OT: Due to how expensive DDR4 is it probably won't become mainstream for a couple more gens. It's going to be a strange transition.

Don't get 4*4GB sets. Get 2*8GB.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

OT: Due to how expensive DDR4 is it probably won't become mainstream for a couple more gens. It's going to be a strange transition.

follow your own thread. unless you creep on yourself like a faggot somewhere.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

$1700 is a hell of a lot for that system.  A decent i5 4690K + GTX 980Ti would generously fit in that budget. 

Where do you live?

$1730:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($88.41 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($117.99 @ NCIX US)

Don't the ddr4 supported by x99 platforms only?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

whats the point for DDR4 if no mainstream board accepts these?

u end up paying way to much for 0 improvement

Don't the ddr4 supported by x99 platforms only?

Yea, I was reading through really confused on what they are on about.>_<

whats the point for DDR4 if no mainstream board accepts these?

u end up paying way to much for 0 improvement

if you get an x99 board now it will be able to take more ram later when it becomes cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback! Is 2*8GB better than 4*4GB?

Where do you live?

$1730:

Thanks for this! I'll give it a look! Does look a bit better with that 980ti in it.

I'm from the Netherlands, so i'm not sure if these prices also apply for me.   :)

Thanks for the feedback! Is 2*8GB better than 4*4GB?

Yes. Can add more capacity later.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Thanks for this! I'll give it a look! Does look a bit better with that 980ti in it.

I'm from the Netherlands, so i'm not sure if these prices also apply for me.   :)

What are you planing to use this PC for?

This will be around 10%-20% more expensive for you in Europe.

The GTX 970 is a great 1080p card.  I was just mentioning that $1700 is a LOT of money for that PC.  You could do that for $1100 easily in the USA.

What are you planing to use this PC for?

This will be around 10%-20% more expensive for you in Europe.

The GTX 970 is a great 1080p card.  I was just mentioning that $1700 is a LOT of money for that PC.  You could do that for $1100 easily in the USA.

Would you advice me to ship them from the US to EU? I'm pretty sure that if i'd do that I need to pay an additional fee to get them through customs though...

Would you advice me to ship them from the US to EU? I'm pretty sure that if i'd do that I need to pay an additional fee to get them through customs though...

I have no idea what would be cheapest.  I like the idea of buying as close to your home as possible.  I live in Canada, I know what it is like to have to pay more.  ;)

What's wrong with 4x4? That's what I run.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What if you need another 16GB?  ...now you're screwed. 

What if you need another 16GB?  ...now you're screwed. 

True. I thought you were implying some kind of performance issue or increased likelihood of hardware issues by going 4x4

True. I thought you were implying some kind of performance issue or increased likelihood of hardware issues by going 4x4

lol I was kidding about the 32GB... not many need 16GB let alone 32GB.  :) I have 16.

lol I was kidding about the 32GB... not many need 16GB let alone 32GB.  :) I have 16.

I enjoy having 16. Mainly because I know I'll probably never use it all. But mostly because having a full four sticks just looks better than two.

I enjoy having 16. Mainly because I know I'll probably never use it all. But mostly because having a full four sticks just looks better than two.

Four does look better... if they are colour matched and you have a window.

Four does look better... if they are colour matched and you have a window.

Indeed. My system looked so much more "complete" when I slotted in the two hyper X Fury black modules. Before that it was just two reds.

Now, all four look great.

if you get an x99 board now it will be able to take more ram later when it becomes cheaper.

waste of money theres 0 improvement atm and probably not the upcomming years either your better of just buying current hardware that has a nice price/quality range to it.

not to mention going AMD is a bad guess we dont se any future cpu's comming out for Am3+ platform

Well for me, it was better to run 2*8, because I'm going to be upgrading to 32GB soon, because I keep running out.

Well for me, it was better to run 2*8, because I'm going to be upgrading to 32GB soon, because I keep running out.

How do you use 16gb of memory?

No seriously, because I'd like to try lol