Need help and tips on building a gaming PC

So I am currently saving up money to build my first computer EVER and I need some input. I have some parts in mind but I need some professional help. I am looking for a nice rig to max out new games like Grand Theft Auto 5 at a resolution of 1080p. My budget is a maximum of 1400$.  Also Can I get some recommendations on tools and surfaces I need to properly be prepared to build my new rig. One last thing, I have never "overclocked" a component before so if one of the parts are able to be overclocked can I have some insight on tips and shit. Thanks :)

Edited by colonel_mortis
Removed formatting

Have any questions? just PM me

Jared Patten

how much are you aiming to spend?

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

how much are you aiming to spend?

Like I said there is no budget just it will take longer to obtain the parts the higher the price is

Jared Patten

You should be able to do this with an 800-1000 US dollar budget. One tip is that you can never do enough research.

Like I said there is no budget just it will take longer to obtain the parts the higher the price is

i meant, how much do you want to spend?

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101

Main Rig: i7-4790K | Corsair H100i | Asus Z97 | 16GB Ripjaws | 4TB WD Black/512GB SSD | x2 R9 290x | NZXT H440 | HX1000i | 6 Noctuas   [spoiler=SILENT BUILD] Silent build: i5-4460, Be Quiet! Pure Rock, Asrock H97, 8GB HyperX, Samsung 850 Evo 500gb, MSI GTX 970, Be Quiet! Silent Base 800, EVGA Supernova GS 650w 

AMD CPU's. [spoiler=] thats right m8 get 420 no scoped 

Ok so for the tools and surfaces just work anywhere there is no carpet to prevent static buildup and where you can ground yourself so near a wall outlet. A phillips head screwdriver is all you need to build a PC but pliers and zipties are nice to have. If you want to play games at 1440p I recommend you get either a 980 or 980ti for your GPU and an i5 4690k for your CPU. Everything else is dependent on your budget but I would recommend at least 8GB of RAM and an ATX mobo and case with a 600w PSU. Overclocking is quite simple you go into your bios and raise your cpu multipliers and voltage in small increments and then stress test to get it stable. If you need more specific advice just ask.

[ Rig: CPU: 4930K, GPU: EVGA 780TI SC x2, RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Mobo: ASUS P9 X79 LE, Storage: 120GB Samsung EVO + 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU: Corsair RM1000 ]

i meant, how much do you want to spend?

I would like to pay a maximum of 1400$ sorry I didn't understand your question lol

Jared Patten

If you're deciding on what parts to use, try this.

1. Choose a well reviewed part in your budget.

2. Search X part playing GTAV 

3. If it looks good, do a little more research and buy it.

Wasn't everything addressed in your last topic? That was like less than a week ago.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/394949-is-this-a-good-setup-for-gaming-at-1080p-60hz/#entry5328495

Yes tho I am trying to get more suggestions to make sure I have a perfect answer. I dont want to spend all this money unless I really know/understand what I am buying/doing.

Jared Patten

Yes tho I am trying to get more suggestions to make sure I have a perfect answer. I dont want to spend all this money unless I really know/understand what I am buying/doing.

Well first, take some time and decide if you want 1080p or 1440p, whether you are going to overclock or not, and whether you are going to stream or not.

Each one of those things is going to significantly impact the build and the price.  We can't help you unless you actually decide what it is that you want.

Well first take some time and decide if you want 1080p or 1440p, whether you are going to overclock or not, and whether you are going to stream or not.

Each one of those things is going to significantly impact the build and the price.  We can't help you unless you actually decide what it is that you want.

Ok I will take that into consideration and update this post when I have decided. Sorry for the inconvenience, this is my first build and I am still learning the ropes. Thanks for the info

Jared Patten

Ok I will take that into consideration and update this post when I have decided. Sorry for the inconvenience, this is my first build and I am still learning the ropes. Thanks for the info

I can help you as far as it comes to the prices.  Look at each option and see what kind of spending you are looking at.

For 1080p you should consider getting a GTX 970/980 - $315/$483

For 1440p you should consider getting a GTX 980/980 Ti - $483/$650

For no overclocking and no streaming you should consider getting an i5-4460 - $167

For overclocking and no streaming you should consider getting an i5-4690K - $230

For streaming and no overclocking you should consider getting a Xeon E3 1231-V3 - $243

For overclocking and streaming you should consider getting an i7-4790K - $329

I can help you as far as it comes to the prices.  Look at each option and see what kind of spending you are looking at.

For 1080p you should consider getting a GTX 970/980 - $315/$483

For 1440p you should consider getting a GTX 980/980 Ti - $483/$650

For no overclocking and no streaming you should consider getting an i5-4460 - $167

For overclocking and no streaming you should consider getting an i5-4690K - $230

For streaming and no overclocking you should consider getting a Xeon E3 1231-V3 - $243

For overclocking and streaming you should consider getting an i7-4790k - $329

Do you believe overclocking is worth it? for gaming

Jared Patten

Do you believe overclocking is worth it? for gaming

Unless the game is cpu intensive it won't make that much of a difference in games.  But, if it is it can make a bit of a difference in fps, as well as reduce stuttering.  Generally though the small fps gains aren't worth the added cost.  You also have to be willing to put in the time and effort into doing it and doing it correctly though, and it can take some time to do properly, especially if you are new to it.  Lastly, you have to take into consideration that you will probably need at least a Hyper 212 EVO ($27) to properly cool the CPU during overclocking.  Although, the Xeon runs pretty hot as well so you would probably want to get the EVO for that as well.  The only cpu you probably don't need to upgrade the stock heatsink is the i5-4460 unless you want a quieter cooler regardless, then the point is moot.

CPU_02.png

idk like a :
GTX 980, i5 4690K,

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

idk like a :

GTX 980, i7 4690K,

An i7 for gaming! are you mad?

Jared Patten

An i7 for gaming! are you mad?

^^^^ fixed

oh... with your budget , yes

but possible

i made a pcpart picker list for you, GTX 980, i7 4790K + H100

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K7P823

some things are left out, but, yes

depends if youre getting PC peripherals or not tho, otherwise i5 4690 (K),i5 4670 (K) , is great! (100$ cheaper than i7)

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

So I am currently saving up money to build my first computer EVER and I need some input. I have some parts in mind but I need some professional help. I am looking for a nice rig to max out new games like Grand Theft Auto 5 at a resolution of 1080p. My budget is a maximum of 1400$.  Also Can I get some recommendations on tools and surfaces I need to properly be prepared to build my new rig. One last thing, I have never "overclocked" a component before so if one of the parts are able to be overclocked can I have some insight on tips and shit. Thanks :)

Build: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=27712305

The GPU: http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-780-Ti-Classified-Kingpin-Edition-/161754555753?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a952a569

That's about the best I can do as far as speed and style (red and black). The GTX 780 Ti is at an amaizng price tag as it keeps up with the GTX 980 within 2-5 FPS while costing $100-$150 more. 

• 3 weeks later...

^^^^ fixed

oh... with your budget , yes

but possible

i made a pcpart picker list for you, GTX 980, i7 4790K + H100

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/K7P823

some things are left out, but, yes

depends if youre getting PC peripherals or not tho, otherwise i5 4690 (K),i5 4670 (K) , is great! (100$ cheaper than i7)

Ironically enough I just bought a 1700$ gaming computer with an i7... So I'm just a hipocrite.

Jared Patten

check out my overclocking guides; links are in my forum signature

BigDay

Ironically enough I just bought a 1700$ gaming computer with an i7... So I'm just a hipocrite.

an i7 for gaming is great. you need one to properly run some of the higher end gpu's without bottlenecking. yes, it will happen if you have an i5; sometimes

BigDay

an i7 for gaming is great. you need one to properly run some of the higher end gpu's without bottlenecking. yes, it will happen if you have an i5; sometimes

but in i7 is basicly an i5 with hyper threading

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)