7970 worth upgrading top GTX 770?

TheCanadianGamer16
Go to solution Solved by Quantum,

Is it the card itself causing the graphical glitches?  Selling your card would be VERY hard if you were to sell it with problems... Have you tried your 7970 in another computer possibly?  You can't go wrong with a 770.  I personally own an EVGA SC ACX gtx 770 and it has impressed me so far.  It's not really a good upgrade since the 770 and 7970 are pretty close in performance... But since you're getting graphical errors, you have the option to switch over to the 770.  As Samdb said, 780 would be a better upgrade if you had the budget for it.       

ok, so right now ive got a 3570K and a 7970 not Ghz, and it seems that every AMD card ive had has given me graphical glitches on screen, but not when i had a 680 in my system, so would it be worth while to sell my 7970 and buy a 770? they are the same price in canada right now, and the card is only 1 month old...

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

ok, so right now ive got a 3570K and a 7970 not Ghz, and it seems that every AMD card ive had has given me graphical glitches on screen, but not when i had a 680 in my system, so would it be worth while to sell my 7970 and buy a 770? they are the same price in canada right now, and the card is only 1 month old...

If your getting graphical errors why not cause they are priced the same same performance. And if it rids you of problems then upgrade (which isnt much of a upgrade)

The 7970 and 770 are nearly neck to neck. What kind of do you use on your cards? Perhaps you're overclocking more than you should?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is it the card itself causing the graphical glitches?  Selling your card would be VERY hard if you were to sell it with problems... Have you tried your 7970 in another computer possibly?  You can't go wrong with a 770.  I personally own an EVGA SC ACX gtx 770 and it has impressed me so far.  It's not really a good upgrade since the 770 and 7970 are pretty close in performance... But since you're getting graphical errors, you have the option to switch over to the 770.  As Samdb said, 780 would be a better upgrade if you had the budget for it.       

CASE: FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4  |  MOBO: MSI MPOWER Z77  |  CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz  |  CPU COOLER: NOCTUA NH-D15  |  GPU: EVGA GTX 770 SC |

PSU: CORSAIR AX860 W/ RED BRAIDED CABLES | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250 GB | HDD: WD BLACK 1 TB | FANS: 3x NOCTUA NF-A14 | MONITOR: HP W2371D

KEYBOARD: CM STORM QFR MX BLUES W/  PBT KEYCAPS  |  MOUSE: LOGITECH G502 | MIC: AUDIO TECHNICA AT2020 | HEADPHONES: SENNHEISER HD 558

I wouldn't call the 770 an upgrade at all... other than getting rid of the graphical errors, which of course shouldn't be there regardless of which card you've got.

If you're getting graphical errors you should return the card and get your money (RMA it if you can't do a return), not sell it to some other poor person.
I have a 7970 and it's running absolutely fantastic, Tahiti GPUs (7970, 7950 & 7870 tahiti LE) get pretty finicky when you push them too hard.

7970s & 770s are pretty much the same in terms of performance, 7970s have more memory and more memory bandwidth, that's about the only difference.

If you're getting graphical errors you should return the card and get your money (RMA it if you can't do a return), not sell it to some other poor person.

I have a 7970 and it's running absolutely fantastic, Tahiti GPUs (7970, 7950 & 7870 tahiti LE) get pretty finicky when you push them too hard.

7970s & 770s are pretty much the same in terms of performance, 7970s have more memory and more memory bandwidth, that's about the only difference.

i already have a buyer on kijiji, and i get the graphical glitches with every AMD card ive had even with my 6450 and 7770's, never with the 680 i had in my system.

My System

CPU - 3570K@4.4Ghz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100 in pull | Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V PRO | RAM - G.Skill RipJawX Blue 8GB 2133Mhz | GPU - Gigabyte Windforce X3 HD7970 | SSD - Patriot Pyro SE 120GB | HDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU - Corsair TX850V2 | Case - Bitfenix Shinobi XL 

This would be like going from a 7970 to a 680 by the way the 680 is worse than the 7970 and so is the 770.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

i already have a buyer on kijiji, and i get the graphical glitches with every AMD card ive had even with my 6450 and 7770's, never with the 680 i had in my system.

What exactly do these graphical glitches look like, can you describe them ?

Also as a tip, you can get a used GTX 680 for quite cheap on ebay right now, that would be better than spending 400+ dollars on a new 770.

What exactly do these graphical glitches look like, can you describe them ?

Also as a tip, you can get a used GTX 680 for quite cheap on ebay right now, that would be better than spending 400+ dollars on a new 770.

well, i prefer new, and the glitch is the entire screen gets lines across it of random colors, and sometime lasts a few seconds, or even so long i just restart my computer

My System

well, i prefer new, and the glitch is the entire screen gets lines across it of random colors, and sometime lasts a few seconds, or even so long i just restart my computer

When you say random colors, do you mean the colors change everytime this happens?

Well that sounds like a nasty malfunction and if you're getting it with 3 different video cards then it's probably something else entirely that is causing it.

You might not have had the 680 for long enough for this to happen and what I'm personally afraid of is if you go ahead and sell your 7970 then buy a 770 only to find out that you're still having the exact same issue.

Do you use a DVI cable to connect your graphics card to the screen ?

When you say random colors, do you mean the colors change everytime this happens?

Well that sounds like a nasty malfunction and if you're getting it with 3 different video cards then it's probably something else entirely that is causing it.

You might not have had the 680 for long enough for this to happen and what I'm personally afraid of is if you go ahead and sell your 7970 then buy a 770 only to find out that you're still having the exact same issue.

Do you use a DVI cable to connect your graphics card to the screen ?

im using HDMI for the primary, and DVI for my secondary

My System