Monitor refresh rates misunderstanding

Labeled

I was recently reading up on general Hz usage, and I stumbled upon a few documents stating that at a progressive frame rate is 1FPS per 2 Hz, while interlaced is 1:1 and there are calculators that back this up. Is this right or is there some misunderstanding here, are 144Hz monitors really only showing 72FPS? I'm really confused, because the general consensus is that Hz is 1:1 FPS.  The stuff I was reading did always specifically mention televisions not monitors..

So I'd like some kind of explanation about this if possible because pretty much every one thinks the way I did that it was 1:1.

60Hz means that the monitor refreshes 60 times per second. It's 1:1 for monitors. 

For TVs, they have post processing and load of stuff that can help pictures that are a constant FPS. Some TVs quote up to 600Hz refresh rates due to software, but that's not the case. Refresh rates on Tvs are pretty much all marketing. 

I was recently reading up on general Hz usage, and I stumbled upon a few documents stating that at a progressive frame rate is 1FPS per 2 Hz, while interlaced is 1:1 and there are calculators that back this up. Is this right or is there some misunderstanding here, are 144Hz monitors really only showing 72FPS? I'm really confused, because the general consensus is that Hz is 1:1 FPS.  The stuff I was reading did always specifically mention televisions not monitors..

So I'd like some kind of explanation about this if possible because pretty much every one thinks the way I did that it was 1:1.

Hz is a measurement of frequency, or how often something occurs.  So 60 Hz means 60 things happening per second.  In the case of monitors the thing being measured are the frames, so 60 frames per second.  Televisions are still usually 60 Hz, but use software to fake higher fps, I dunno how it works, but I'm pretty sure it is meaningless.