Time for an upgrade?

Hi everyone 

I have 2 Radeon 6870's in crossfire im thinking of upgrading to a single card setup since my experience with crossfire for the 4 years ive had this setup have been terrible. I was thinking the R9 285 but the new 300 series was just released should I get a 300 series card or just stick with the 200 series?.

MY SYSTEM!!
AMD FX-8120 

2 AMD Radeon 6870 

Asus 990 Sabetooth

8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 
OCZ 700 watt power supply 

I game at 1920x1080 no need for the crossfire setup I know but I had dreams xD 

Thanks guys for the help! 

the 300 is basically a rebranded 200 series. it is slightly faster, but meh

i recommend going for the green team tho. more consistent driver updates, not as warm.

and i have been using radeon for my full life, next GPU i get it will be from the green team. 

edit

i have to add, i had 2x 5850 when they came out, but holy shit i hated it, it felt laggy even if it was 60+++ fps. i got myself a 7970 instead and have been using that for now... i really will never go crossfire/sli again, 1 single card is so much smoother 

before i got the 7970 i even turned one 5850 off to play games :(

I'd probably try go for an R9 290 (They're $220 from: http://www.diamondmm.com/product/112-diamond-amd-r9-290-pcie-gddr5-4gb-memory-graphics-video-card ) or an R9 290x. The 300 series is basically a rebrand of the 200 series, so unless you want to fork to a Fury X or something, meh.

I'd also look at the GTX960 / GTX970 which are also extremely popular.

@Notorious Secret follow your threads :)

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

the 300 is basically a rebranded 200 series. it is slightly faster, but meh

The 300 series is basically a rebrand of the 200 series, so unless you want to fork to a Fury X or something, meh.

*highfive*

A good upgrade would be an ssd and a gpu.

Something like a R9 380 / R9 285 / R9 290 etc or GTX 970 / 980ti

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

for a graphics card upgrade, i'd recommend either a 960 or a 280X. unless you plan on upgrading your cpu soonish. then go for a 970 or 290X (budget permitting of course). your cpu will bottleneck a 970 and 290X for the most part so only get those if you plan on upgrading your cpu. if you don't plan on upgrading the cpu then go for a 960 or 280X. both are great cards for 1080p gaming.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

I want to upgrade my CPU but AMD doesn't really have compelling offerings with the AM3+ socket so i don't see the point xD

the 280x is better than the 285? I Can get an R9 290 on clearance for $200 but its club 3D and ive never used them before so im worried about quality. Ive been a strictly Asus guy.Just to reiterate 6870's suck in crossfire worst scaling in the world. I actually get less frames while using crossfire than I do just 1 GPU. 

I'd probably try go for an R9 290 (They're $220 from: http://www.diamondmm.com/product/112-diamond-amd-r9-290-pcie-gddr5-4gb-memory-graphics-video-card ) or an R9 290x. The 300 series is basically a rebrand of the 200 series, so unless you want to fork to a Fury X or something, meh.

I'd also look at the GTX960 / GTX970 which are also extremely popular.

@Notorious Secret follow your threads :)

Thanks for the tip xD

I want to upgrade my CPU but AMD doesn't really have compelling offerings with the AM3+ socket so i don't see the point xD

no there isn't anything that's going to come out on am3+. amd abandoned the hell out of it. there is a point in upgrading the cpu. no single graphics card will be bottlenecked by an i5 (any haswell i5 even the low end ones), where as you cpu will bottleneck any decently high end card and even the 960 and 280X will be bottlenecked a bit in certain games. but i'm not going to try and make you upgrade your cpu here lol. so a 960 or a 280X would be your best bet then since you'd get no extra performance out of a higher end card.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB