I got a bad power supply, didn't I?

crazikyle
Go to solution Solved by blackadder,

Update: I did the paperclip test, survived without setting anything on fire, and the PSU started up just fine. Fan spun, no smoke, no noise. Where do I go from here?

honestly didn't expect that. Try it in the system again. Make sure everything is seated.

Did it click then? Make sure your using the correct modular cables and the one that came with the psu.

I got a new PSU so I could go SLI on my rig, so I get everything settled and in its new home, and I power it up when nothing good happens. Fans started spinning, then there was almost a click, and PC stopped booting. No big deal, maybe there is a short in one of the fans. I was playing around trying to get the 8 pin connector out of the case, maybe the wires frayed. I disconnected all the fans, tried again, but now there was just the clicking noise. I tried booting with only one video card connected, but the same thing happened. Just a clicking noise then nothing. I double checked all the connectors, and sure enough, everything was in good and tight. As a last resort, I went back to my old power supply, running the original card and everything, and thank goodness, everything still works 100%.

So, did I just waste $120 bucks? The new power supply I got was a Silverstone SST-ST85F-gs, and my current one is a Corsair CX 500M.

"So I can just put anything here and they'll print it?"

Chances are yes and no. Not like you can't rma and get a new one from them. Also try the paperclip trick (google it) if it does nothing, contact support in 2 weeks i hope you get a new psu in the mail. Testing a psu fully isn't easy and requires some special equipment that i would love to have.... Oscilloscope donations anyone?

Possible..

Try the paperclip test. 

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Chances are yes and no. Not like you can't rma and get a new one from them. Also try the paperclip trick (google it) if it does nothing, contact support in 2 weeks i hope you get a new psu in the mail. Testing a psu fully isn't easy and requires some special equipment that i would love to have.... Oscilloscope donations anyone?

Heh, I bought the thing off craigslist, but it should still be under warranty. I'll give the paperclip thing a try, thanks.

500W for SLI? What card are you SLIing?

EDIT: Didn't read properly. 850W is fine.

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

500W for SLI? What card are you SLIing?

EDIT: Didn't read properly. 850W is fine.

i make magic happen, you should too......

This is exactly what happened to me when Newegg shipped me a faulty PSU, then we shipped it back and almost two weeks later (really Newegg, ffs) we got a new one that worke.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

i make magic happen, you should too......

What?

My Buyer’s Guide!   

Build:                                               

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate RAM: Kingston Fury White Series 8GB SSD: OCZ 100 ARC 240GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Graphics Card: Powercolor PCS+ R9 390 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) Power Supply: EVGA G2 750W Monitor: LG 29UM67-P 29" 21:9 Freesync Sexiness Mouse: Razer Deathadder ChromKeyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2014 Headset: Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400

Update: I did the paperclip test, survived without setting anything on fire, and the PSU started up just fine. Fan spun, no smoke, no noise. Where do I go from here?

honestly didn't expect that. Try it in the system again. Make sure everything is seated.

Did it click then? Make sure your using the correct modular cables and the one that came with the psu.

Make sure your case I/O is plugged into the right pins on your MOBO? Also, Atlanta!

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

That could be the problem. I'm using the mobo, CPU, and PCIe cables that came with it, but all the sata cables are the ones that came with my corsair one. I'll put it back in though.

Final Update: The cables were the issue. I replaced all the cables, including the sata ones, and its now working. Thanks for all the help guys.

One last thing while we're on the topic: Where can I get some 8 pin male to male cpu power cables? The one i got is like a foot and a half, and there is no way I can just leave it in the state it is in.

Final Update: The cables were the issue. I replaced all the cables, including the sata ones, and its now working. Thanks for all the help guys.

One last thing while we're on the topic: Where can I get some 8 pin male to male cpu power cables? The one i got is like a foot and a half, and there is no way I can just leave it in the state it is in.

stuff it somewhere, tie a nice knot. Unless you find a full cable kit with the correct specs its best to hide them.

stuff it somewhere, tie a nice knot. Unless you find a full cable kit with the correct specs its best to hide them.

I wish I could hide it, but in order for it to reach I have to take a straight line from PSU to connector on mobo, and that means its right across my case.

I wish I could hide it, but in order for it to reach I have to take a straight line from PSU to connector on mobo, and that means its right across my case.

look in your bag, see if there isn't a slightly longer one. 

1 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V connector(750mm)

1 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V connector(550mm)

look in your bag, see if there isn't a slightly longer one. 

1 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V connector(750mm)

1 x 8 / 4-Pin EPS / ATX 12V connector(550mm)

I've looked, but it's the longest one I have. This is a secondhand unit, so maybe the original owner is keeping the longer one for himself. Either way, I may order some custom sleeved cables soon anyways.