Go to solution Solved by MG0518,

Hi, currently I have:

I7-4790K 4400Mhz

1x 1TB SSD

3x WD Black in Raid 5

Blu-Ray writer

32GB DDR 3 (4x8GB)

Gigabyte Nvidia 980 ti 6GB GPU

In the next 6 months I plan to build a new Haswell or Skylark system and eventually get a second 980 ti once the prices come down.   I have a 32' 4k monitor.   Thanks.

David

Considering a GTX980ti and possibly another one in the next 6 months, that will be a high load, so 1050W or even 1200W seems reasonable. Seasonic PSUs are premium and expensive, and backed by a good warranty, meaning you might keep it for long, so if the different is not that big, rather go for 1200W.
Check also the physical size of the PSU so that it does suit your case well (Super Flower-based of that power are 200mm long, which in some cases would prevent you from installing an intake fan at the bottom).

750W is enough.. 850 if you want head-room. EVGA G2 is hard to beat for $110~

And why 32 GB ram?!?

I'm still puzzled why people are told to go for the PSU that will "just" fit the target consumption. It's like telling someone who wants to drive often 80mph to pick an 80hp engine because that's enough. Sure it will work but your engine will run in high rpm and will be loud, and you're using the engine often at its high range of use.

Most of the PSUs have their best efficiency between 40% and 60% load, and most of the premium ones can also stay silent under 30% load, and decently quiet under 60%, so it seems logical to me to have a more powerful PSU.

For my work I have to run multiple Virtual Machines at the same time with VMWare Worksation.

I have the same goal, except I'm gonna run ESXi. I also picked 32GB of RAM.

Indeed, some of us use their rig for work too. Enterprise software have usually higher requirements in terms of memory, and in my case, I need about 24GB just for that.

Hi,

I'm looking at gettinga new Seasonic PSU.   Newegg has a deal for 10% plus a rebate on the Seasonic Platinum PSUs.   There's only a $17 after discount and rebate between the Seasonic Platinum SS-1050 and SS-1200.   I used the Extreme Power Supply Calulator and put in my current system and my hypothetical upgrades.   It recommended a 1025 watt PSU.    Would I by wasting engery if I get the 1200 Watt PSU over the 1050 PSU?  I would lke to get the 1200W for the extra headroom but if cost more on my electricity bill it might not be worth it.   Thanks for any suggestions.

David

Hi,

I'm looking at gettinga new Seasonic PSU.   Newegg has a deal for 10% plus a rebate on the Seasonic Platinum PSUs.   There's only a $17 after discount and rebate between the Seasonic Platinum SS-1050 and SS-1200.   I used the Extreme Power Supply Calulator and put in my current system and my hypothetical upgrades.   It recommended a 1025 watt PSU.    Would I by wasting engery if I get the 1200 Watt PSU over the 1050 PSU?  I would lke to get the 1200W for the extra headroom but if cost more on my electricity bill it might not be worth it.   Thanks for any suggestions.

David

You'll be fine with either. Whatever is cheapest should work fine.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Whats your build.. don't trust power calculators..

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Whats your build.. don't trust power calculators..

Hi, currently I have:

I7-4790K 4400Mhz

1x 1TB SSD

3x WD Black in Raid 5

Blu-Ray writer

32GB DDR 3 (4x8GB)

In the next 6 months I plan to build a new Haswell or Skylark system and eventually get a second 980 ti once the prices come down.   I have a 32' 4k monitor.   Thanks.

David

And why 32 GB ram?!?

And why 32 GB ram?!?

For my work I have to run multiple Virtual Machines at the same time with VMWare Worksation.

Still.. Must be very heavy memory load otherwise you'd run out of processing power very fast.. Thats a boat load of ram. :D

At least you didn't say gaming.. Moar rams bettah.. :P

Still.. Must be very heavy memory load otherwise you'd run out of processing power very fast.. Thats a boat load of ram. :D

At least you didn't say gaming.. Moar rams bettah.. :P

Yeah it's still overkill with the RAM but I got a good price for the RAM so I just decided to get it.    I use also use some ram for caching.

Hi, currently I have:

I7-4790K 4400Mhz

1x 1TB SSD

3x WD Black in Raid 5

Blu-Ray writer

32GB DDR 3 (4x8GB)

David

Considering a GTX980ti and possibly another one in the next 6 months, that will be a high load, so 1050W or even 1200W seems reasonable. Seasonic PSUs are premium and expensive, and backed by a good warranty, meaning you might keep it for long, so if the different is not that big, rather go for 1200W.
Check also the physical size of the PSU so that it does suit your case well (Super Flower-based of that power are 200mm long, which in some cases would prevent you from installing an intake fan at the bottom).

And why 32 GB ram?!?

I'm still puzzled why people are told to go for the PSU that will "just" fit the target consumption. It's like telling someone who wants to drive often 80mph to pick an 80hp engine because that's enough. Sure it will work but your engine will run in high rpm and will be loud, and you're using the engine often at its high range of use.

Most of the PSUs have their best efficiency between 40% and 60% load, and most of the premium ones can also stay silent under 30% load, and decently quiet under 60%, so it seems logical to me to have a more powerful PSU.

Indeed, some of us use their rig for work too. Enterprise software have usually higher requirements in terms of memory, and in my case, I need about 24GB just for that.

Ok let me explain... SLI overclocked 980 ti's on a i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz uses, at full load in a stress test, about 650w, maybe 700 if you really pushing it and have LOADS of HDD's etc.. 

I can't understand why people keep reccomending a PSU that will power 3 - 4 GPU's when he can only use 2...

The EVGA G2 is probably one of the best PSU's you can get at the moment, It's as good as the Seasonic 860 Platinum ( or so close it makes no difference) and has a 10 year warranty with a MTBF of 100,000 hours from EVGA, one of the most reputable companies in NA / Europe and costs less than half of what your telling him to get.

And of course we (I) know people use their computers for work but 32GB ram on a 4790k is a bit of a mis match.. It would take VERY memory intensive tasks to make use of it without hitting a cpu performance wall first. Usually people go for a 2011 i7 or E5 if they are doing something that heavy.

@davidst95 The choice is obviously yours to go for.. But the EVGA is an absolutely excellent unit with a great warranty and enough capacity for almost anything you can put in that build (Except CF 295x2's).. Even if you want to stay with Seasonic.. the Platinum 860W is all the head-room you'll need.

I understand your point of view, I guess it's simply a question of approach first regarding PSU's wattage versus the need, and second regarding lifespan.

1. A 750W will fit I agree, but it will be used close to its max. In my humble opinion, it's not good for components to be pushed that much. Also, as I mentioned, you're not running in the best range of efficiency, and it impacts noise too.

2. As for lifespan, buying 750W now is sufficient mathematically speaking. If @davidst95 is not bothered with changing is PSU often (i.e. renewing it with each build), then no problem. If he wants to put a decent amount of money on a good PSU and keep it several years (possibly across the covering of warranty), then it might limit him if he evolves to Haswell-E/whatever

I agree with your proposal of EVGA as a better price/quality alternative. It's manufactured by Super Flower which has very good reputation (see one review here: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=377). I personnally don't like the look of the cables provided, but that doesn't impact the quality.

PS: in several rather large virtual environments I've worked in, memory is often the limiting factor. Business applications (the most common) like memory a lot, are not CPU intensive to the extreme, and having contention on memory means swapping at VM or worse host level. I can run 2-3 VMs decently on an i7-920 (4 cores-8 threads) but the memory (12GB) is really limiting me.

Ok let me explain... SLI overclocked 980 ti's on a i7 4790K @ 4.7GHz uses, at full load in a stress test, about 650w, maybe 700 if you really pushing it and have LOADS of HDD's etc.. 

I can't understand why people keep reccomending a PSU that will power 3 - 4 GPU's when he can only use 2...

The EVGA G2 is probably one of the best PSU's you can get at the moment, It's as good as the Seasonic 860 Platinum ( or so close it makes no difference) and has a 10 year warranty with a MTBF of 100,000 hours from EVGA, one of the most reputable companies in NA / Europe and costs less than half of what your telling him to get.

And of course we (I) know people use their computers for work but 32GB ram on a 4790k is a bit of a mis match.. It would take VERY memory intensive tasks to make use of it without hitting a cpu performance wall first. Usually people go for a 2011 i7 or E5 if they are doing something that heavy.

@davidst95 The choice is obviously yours to go for.. But the EVGA is an absolutely excellent unit with a great warranty and enough capacity for almost anything you can put in that build (Except CF 295x2's).. Even if you want to stay with Seasonic.. the Platinum 860W is all the head-room you'll need.

Hi, sorry for the delay.   I see your point about the CPU and RAM a mis match.    I actually bought the CPU about 6 months before I knew I would be able to work at home and required more ram.    I think a Haswell processor would be better for VMs since it has 6 cores.    To be honest I don't know how VMs share CPU and RAM time. 

Also, I ended up getting a Seasonic 1200W Platinum.    Newegg had a 10% promotion plus a $20 rebate so the price was resonable.   It was only $17 more than the 1050 model.   I'm also a premier member so I was able to get free shipping.   I'm a big Seassonic fan boy so I usually go with them but I know EVGA makes great PSUs.

David