First time HTPC builder looking for advice from other HTPC users

Obysk

I have been doing some of my own research online for various HTPC builds but I still have some unanswered questions.

First of all, I will outline what I would like to use a HTPC for:

• Kodi (XBMC)
  • Netflix/Hulu Plus
  • Blu-ray player
  • General web browsing
  • I do NOT intend to use a HTPC for gaming of any kind

Question #1

Does my HTPC need to have a dedicated graphics card? If it is optional, what is the advantage of having one?

Question #2

If my HTPC build does not include a dedicated video card, how would I connect the HTPC to my television which only has HDMI and component/RCA inputs? Do motherboards exist that have HDMI outputs or would adapters be required?

Question #3

Should I build a Windows based HTPC or some other type of OS and why? Pro's/Con's?

Thank you very much!

Main Rig - i7 5930K // Corsair H100i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // Corsair Vengeance 16GB // Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB + 1TB // MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio // Corsair Obsidian 550D // Corsair HX850 // Acer Predator 1440p // Windows 10 x64

I have been doing some of my own research online for various HTPC builds but I still have some unanswered questions.

• Kodi (XBMC)
  • Netflix/Hulu Plus
  • Blu-ray player
  • General web browsing

Question #1

Does my HTPC need to have a dedicated graphics card? If it is optional, what is the advantage of having one?

Question #2

If my HTPC build does not include a dedicated video card, how would I connect the HTPC to my television which only has HDMI and component/RCA inputs? Do motherboards exist that have HDMI outputs or would adapters be required?

Question #3

Should I build a Windows based HTPC or some other type of OS and why? Pro's/Con's?

Thank you very much!

1) No you do not need one if your CPU and motherboard support video out. I would add a real cheap one for like 20-30 bucks if you need one.

2) Some motherboards do have HDMI out. I would recommend using hdmi over vga and dvi because its more common for televisions.

3) For your needs windows should be good. If you are looking into more of a home sever with robust file sharing and server usage I would say take a look at linux distros.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

• Kodi (XBMC)
  • Netflix/Hulu Plus
  • Blu-ray player
  • General web browsing

Question #1

Question #2

Question #3

Thank you very much!

1. Nope if you don't plan to game you don't need it.

2. Yes almost all Mobos with support for integrated graphics have HDMI ports

3. Kodi has a linux version called KodiBuntu but, windows is probably the easiest way to set one up.

My Rig

CPU: i7-4770k @ 3.50GHz | Motherboard: Asrock Z87 Extreme4 | Hyper XFury 16GB(2x8) and 1x8GB G.Skill =24GB GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 O.C.ed | Case: N600 Coolermaster Storage: 1x3TB 7200RPM, 1x320GB 7200RPM, 1x750GB 5400RPM, 1x500GB Evo 850 SSD, 1x1TB = 5.67TB | PSU: 750 Watt PSU Displays: 2x23 inch LG23M45 60hz 1080p + 1 QNIX QX2710 (O.C.ed)100hz 1440p | Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blues | Cooling: Stock | Mouse: Redragon Perdition Sound: Sades SA-708 Headset | Operating System: Windows 8

Ask me about my photography!

• Kodi (XBMC)
  • Netflix/Hulu Plus
  • Blu-ray player
  • General web browsing

Question #1

Question #2

Question #3

Thank you very much!

Q1: no, but I recommend a graphics card, as I have had difficultes with intel integrated graphics and interlaced video. I used an Nvidia gt720 and it works great. when running furmark it only hits 80C in a case with no airflow, which is remarkable for a fully passive GPU

edit: I should add that I only had issues with live TV signal. if you aren't getting live TV signal from a TV tuner like the HDHomerun prime or other TV cards, integrated graphics is just fine

Q2: lots of motherboards have HDMI on them. I'd venture to say that most intel motherboards sold do have at least one HDMI port.

Q3: I can't really speak on this.  use windows, but haven't tried other OS for HTPC use