I need help with a light modding project can anyone help?

Johntheawesomeguy

so I have this new pc I have had for a little while but now it's time for a aesthetic upgrade with some lighting. this lighting would not just be lighting my pc, it will also light up the rest of my desk as well. I have two choices for what I can do at the moment, I can either pick up this (http://goo.gl/1gY6CB) kit or a similar one on amazon. Then I would modify it by instead of using the included power supply I would hook it up to my computer power supply through a molex connector, this way the lighting turns off when my pc does which would be convenient. But I need to know if there is anything I should know if this could damage something in my pc ect. The second option would be to buy an nzxt hue and some additional rgb lighting strips so that way I will have enough strip to light my desk. But the second option would much more expensive and I may need additional power for the additional strip but i'm not sure. Thanks for your help it is very much appreciated!

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

I will never understand you LED fans.

what's wrong with led's? I want to be able to show off the hardware in my pc and adding lighting inside a PC is common case modding. do  you have a problem with modding?

what's wrong with led's? I want to be able to show off the hardware in my pc and adding lighting inside a PC is common case modding. do  you have a problem with modding?

Putting LEDs in a case does not apply as a mod so I don't have a problem with modding.

Go put your LEDs in your case, it's a matter of preference anyway.

Putting LEDs in a case does not apply as a mod so I don't have a problem with modding.

Go put your LEDs in your case, it's a matter of preference anyway.

putting lights in a case is modding, sure it's basic but I am modifying the original case by adding something.

putting lights in a case is modding, sure it's basic but I am modifying the original case by adding something.

So would you say changing the fans in your case for LED ones is modding?

-SNIP-

It will require a 12V molex to 2.1mm DC jack to power the RGB controller, shouldn't be any issues:

T1Lji3FitgXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic__91057_t

So would you say changing the fans in your case for LED ones is modding?

putting new fans into a case is not modding because it is supported by the manufacturer with all the screws and screw holes. With LED's it is not technically supported which is why you would usually use adhesive and in my case I have to buy some adapters, a kit, and possibly some other stuff in order to work in the way I need it to. Like I said before it is not very complex of a mod but it is modding none the less.

putting new fans into a case is not modding because it is supported by the manufacturer with all the screws and screw holes. With LED's it is not technically supported which is why you would usually use adhesive and in my case I have to buy some adapters, a kit, and possibly some other stuff in order to work in the way I need it to. Like I said before it is not very complex of a mod but it is modding none the less.

You have the wrong concept of modding.

Mod is short for Modification.

Modification means "the action of modifying something." or "a change made.".

So you've changed the fans so it's a change thus modding? No.

Modding a case means changing the actual structure of the case.

Like how would you incorporate a slim optical drive into an H440 or how would you would allow the fans in a 900D to take in more fresh air.

Adding LEDs to a case is not changing it's structure thus it's not modding.