- Advanced Recording Software -

Hi, I play CS:GO which is pretty heavy on my GPU and CPU.

I play on an aspect ratio of 4:3, 1152x864, Aspect (black bars).

But I don't know if there's software capable of recording my gameplay in a different resolution/aspect ratio

Does anyone of you have any experience with Dxtory, D3DGear, or Capture?

Which ones are the lightest on your CPU/GPU?

All I know is that a lot of the CS:GO streamers play on 'Aspect' mode (black bars 4:3) but stream in 'Full' mode (stretched 4:3).

I use Dxtory and it's fine, no FPS loss (maybe 5fps at most). What you're better doing is, if playing MM just download the demo from the "Watch" section after the game has finished. If playing ESEA or FACEIT, just type "record <demonamehere> then enter into console and it'll record a demo straight to your harddisk which you can zoom through quickly to find what you want to record.

I use Open Broadcaster Software(OBS): https://obsproject.com/OBS is open source and free to use, it's advertised as "streamer" software, but it has a local file output option as well.

I play on 1280x960 stretched, so 4:3 and then stretched to 16:9. I record this in OBS just fine without any black bars(had to resize the scene window for it to look fullscreen).

Example(yes this is my video, no I don't care about views);

I don't have any fps drops, but CSGO isn't really that taxing on my system to begin with, so your mileage may vary.

You know it's supposed to be 4:3 stretched on your screen too, not 4:3 black bars?  4:3 stretched gives you an advantage because the models are wider and so are the gaps in doors.  There's no advantage to playing 4:3 with black bars, in fact it's a huge disadvantage over both 4:3 stretched and 16:9

Hi, I play CS:GO which is pretty heavy on my GPU and CPU.

I play on an aspect ratio of 4:3, 1152x864, Aspect (black bars).

But I don't know if there's software capable of recording my gameplay in a different resolution/aspect ratio

Does anyone of you have any experience with Dxtory, D3DGear, or Capture?

Which ones are the lightest on your CPU/GPU?

All I know is that a lot of the CS:GO streamers play on 'Aspect' mode (black bars 4:3) but stream in 'Full' mode (stretched 4:3).

I use Dxtory and it's fine, no FPS loss (maybe 5fps at most). What you're better doing is, if playing MM just download the demo from the "Watch" section after the game has finished. If playing ESEA or FACEIT, just type "record <demonamehere> then enter into console and it'll record a demo straight to your harddisk which you can zoom through quickly to find what you want to record.

I know of this method.

But demos are buggy and always don't depict what actually happened in the match real time. 

There is another method, using recording software, since I've seen people record this way. 

I just don't know how do it. 

You know it's supposed to be 4:3 stretched on your screen too, not 4:3 black bars?  4:3 stretched gives you an advantage because the models are wider and so are the gaps in doors.  There's no advantage to playing 4:3 with black bars, in fact it's a huge disadvantage over both 4:3 stretched and 16:9

I've been in this "debate" before.

I'll just copy and paste what I wrote back then.

People, there is a reason the whole team of fnatic, EnVyUs, V.P, Na'Vi plays on 4:3 black bars (not stretched)!

4:3 stretched is very very very bad close quarter since the enemies move 33% faster horizontally.

And the sensitivity is completely off horizontally as well, because it moves 33% more when you drag your mouse horizontally compared to if you would move it vertically.

This causes bad muscle memory, since it's A LOT harder for your brain to compensate for the horizontal/vertical difference.

Stretched is especially bad for vertical combat, AWPers, close quarters combat and spray control.

Then the question remains, why even use 4:3 at all?

In pro teams, or organized premades in general, you would actually skip that extra 33% of peripheral view for concentration

(since you have 33% less to focus on, and it keeps the HUD close to the center of the screen), FPS drops in smokes and FPS in general. 

All in all, I would say that if you have teammates to rely on and if you're above SEM, go for the 4:3 AR. Otherwise, you most likely suck at the game so just stick to the 16:9 AR.

I use Open Broadcaster Software(OBS): https://obsproject.com/OBS is open source and free to use, it's advertised as "streamer" software, but it has a local file output option as well.

I play on 1280x960 stretched, so 4:3 and then stretched to 16:9. I record this in OBS just fine without any black bars(had to resize the scene window for it to look fullscreen).

Example(yes this is my video, no I don't care about views);

I don't have any fps drops, but CSGO isn't really that taxing on my system to begin with, so your mileage may vary.

Hmm, so is it possible to record in 4:3 stretched while playing on 4:3 black bars?

And is the software heavy on your CPU? 

How many frames do you drop while recording? :P