Cache as Storage

potatoproduction

I saw a post earlier about using ram for storage just to test the speed and to have some fun. So I was wondering if you can use cache as storage . Is it even remotely possible or is it just way too expensive . Even if you could how fast would it be?

Someone (Linus) needs to test this, just for the sake of science.

Wait you wanna use the l1 cache as for storage ? Thats kinda not worth it since its only a few MBs

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

It doesn't work the other way

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

But the speed tho

It is not possible, sorry.

Why would you want too? I understand the theoretical idea behind it, but what would you even put on few MB?

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

I don't think its possible, its way too small for anything useful and you wont benefit from the speed anyway. Not 100% on this but I would assume all available cache is all being used by the CPU anyway. 

It's only for the testing not for practical use

If you want to know the speeds try memtest, last time I tried it had a list of the levels cache and how fast they ran.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

The speeds are insane and wouldn't even be possible to measure. Human reflexes are slower than the transfer. There would really be no way to test this.

EDIT: No way to test this if you were transferring files, not just testing the speed.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

Is there anyway to "combine" multiple processor cache together?

3980b3c13b.png

As in the levels of cache? This is the amount on my CPU, still not worth it or make it possible.

3700x, Asus B450i, 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB, Gigabyte GTX 970 ITXDan A4-SFX, SX600-G, 120mm AIO.

~

I saw a post earlier about using ram for storage just to test the speed and to have some fun. So I was wondering if you can use cache as storage . Is it even remotely possible or is it just way too expensive . Even if you could how fast would it be?

Someone (Linus) needs to test this, just for the sake of science.

Unlike RAM cashe is so low u cant actually test it very well and I dont know any programs that can do that (cashe as storage) although I do know there is a piece of software to utilize RAM as storage which is significantly larger in size.