RAM as storage

Well as we all know Linus did and still does raid "benchmarks" for different disks including the 128 ssd raid array.

I thought that he could do a benchmark for several DDR4 RAM sticks configured as storage running in a raid 0 array, with high bandwidth sticks you'll be able to achieve massive speeds and crush the ssd raid array.

Perhaps you could do it perhaps not but I'm going to order some DDR4-3400 sticks to test it myself, Thought it would be a great video to watch I would certainly watch it. 

Linus is love Linus is life.

Well only problem with RAM as storage must be its expensive, and that its removed evertime you shut down the PC so it must be like loaded to the RAM everytime you start. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Well only problem with RAM as storage must be its expensive, and that its removed evertime you shut down the PC so it must be like loaded to the RAM everytime you start. 

I know the point is to benchmark it and not to use it at all. to do it just for the sake of testing.

Madness? Madness has marely begun..

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

You mean a RAM disk ? That would be insanely fun ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

poof

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

Well as we all know Linus did and still does raid "benchmarks" for different disks including the 128 ssd raid array.

I thought that he could do a benchmark for several DDR4 RAM sticks configured as storage running in a raid 0 array, with high bandwidth sticks you'll be able to achieve massive speeds and crush the ssd raid array.

Perhaps you could do it perhaps not but I'm going to order some DDR4-3400 sticks to test it myself, Thought it would be a great video to watch I would certainly watch it. 

Linus is love Linus is life.

Hey Houdini,

It would be a great idea for RAM disks to get some real world applications without the need to unload and load the data every time the system is powered on and off. It might be very useful to implement in NAS and servers that stay on anyway and are used to utilize processes such as exporting and rendering that really benefit from the speed of the storage. Having a quick SSD already smashes loading times on pretty much everything on a consumer level and basically decreasing a 3-4 second loading time in half or to 1 second isn't such a huge gain.

I would also love to see some benchmarks for real-world applications. :) 

Just make sure you have backups of enything you put on there as a sudden power outage might delete something important.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/