Building first PC. General Questions

Hello LinusTechTips fans,

This is my first PC build : http://pcpartpicker.com/user/TheSabby/saved/FNdYcf

I intend to later upgrade my CPU cooling to the H110i and add a GTX 980Ti.

However, I have some questions about the build as it currently stands.

First: I have two HDD's and an SSD. I intend to install windows on the SSD but I would also like to dual boot Ubuntu as I prefer it for programming. My question is, should I install it on the SSD too alongside windows to benefit from the speed or should I install it on one of the HDD's.

Second: Is my choice of motherboard good? My usage is mainly programming and gaming. I don't intend to do any content creation or streaming. Just gaming and programming. Assuming I have a GTX 980Ti, will my motherboard hold up?

Third: The case. I just want to know if this case can fit all of these components and whether or not it will be hard to build in for a first timer like myself.

Any tips are appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Your motherboard really doesn't matter. As long as you have a decent one, you are fine. Usually you are just paying for extra features. I've never built in the SPEC cases, check a review on youtube. You will be looking at your case a lot. Just make sure you are fine with the aesthetics of it. 

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.89 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($70.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($159.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $936.81

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 20:32 EDT-0400

The mobo doesn't have a price, where are you getting it? I don't know much about it though.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

1) I personally would install Ubuntu on the SSD as it will just make the whole OS feel faster.  Keep in mind that means you will be limited on space so you probably won't be able to install any games on the SSD or use it as a scratch disk for photo/video editing, programming projects are usually relatively small so those should fit fine.

I would like to state ahead of time that I don't have any personal experience with the hardware in your second two but:

2) I see people put this in higher end gaming builds so it is definitely not crap.  Looks like a pretty solid board to me and will handle a 980Ti just fine.

3) Yes, everything will fit, that is an ATX case so it should be pretty roomy and it looks like a simple layout to work in.

Fractal Design Define R5 | i7-4790k | Corsair H80 | Asus Z97-Pro WiFi | 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SSC+ | 16GB G.Skill Sniper@1866MHz | Samsung 840 Evo 256 GB | 1TB + 750GB drives | EVGA 750W G2 | 27" BenQ IPS 1440p@60Hz | Windows 10

1) I personally would install Ubuntu on the SSD as it will just make the whole OS feel faster. Keep in mind that means you will be limited on space so you probably won't be able to install any games on the SSD or use it as a scratch disk for photo/video editing, programming projects are usually relatively small so those should fit fine.

I would like to state ahead of time that I don't have any personal experience with the hardware in your second two but:

2) I see people put this in higher end gaming builds so it is definitely not crap. Looks like a pretty solid board to me and will handle a 980Ti just fine.

3) Yes, everything will fit, that is an ATX case so it should be pretty roomy and it looks like a simple layout to work in.

So I should first install ubuntu on the SSD then install windows on the HDD. Or the other way around? I'm asking about the order of installation. Thanks

The V300 series of SSD is a horrible one, so just avoid that one.

Why is it horrible? What would you recommend? Thanks

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($328.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: Kingston Fury Black Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($97.89 @ OutletPC)

Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($47.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro OEM (64-bit) ($159.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $936.81

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-22 20:32 EDT-0400

The mobo doesn't have a price, where are you getting it? I don't know much about it though.

I live in Jordan and it is available here. It is rather close to the VII HERO.