Resolved.

Loe
Go to solution Solved by mgsstar,

I thought that software was for installing linux onto usb.

It can also do Windows 7 installations. Look at the list of installable linux distributions and scroll down to the bottom and you will see that it supports windows 7 and other OSes and tools. Like it because it is portable. Not sure if the one that @Appelzaadje suggested is portable.

Well today I decided to install Ubuntu, just because I was bored.

I tried to use software that would allow me to grub from launching at start so I could remove ubuntu.

This just caused my boot to break and in order to fix I had to do a clean install of ubuntu and my hard drive was wiped.

How can I reinstall windows 8 pro (or 7) without an optical drive?

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Get another computer that has a optical drive and make a usb bootable drive.

I am a happy wuffy

create a bootable usb drive 4gb is enough for win 7 / 8 and install from there. Al u need is an iso and u have to make it bootable.

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

Get another computer that has a optical drive and make a usb bootable drive.

create a bootable usb drive 4gb is enough for win 7 / 8 and install from there. Al u need is an iso and u have to make it bootable.

Can you link me to a guide please? I have struggled to find isos in the past.

i like this program

http://www.sarducd.it/

dono if im alowd to make links to iso's of windows here :S

Appelzaadje - the Insane

Intel i7-4770K - Maximus VI Formula - Corsair Dominator GT 1866mhz - R9 290X - Xonar DGX - Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb - 3X WD1001FALS - Raven RV01 - Iiyama B2409HDS 3x - Custom water loop - Windows 10 Pro - XFX tripple monitor stand - Steelseries 4HD - Logitech G9, G19, G35 and Z5500

i like this program

http://www.sarducd.it/

dono if im alowd to make links to iso's of windows here :S

No worries, I am sure I can find it.

goodluck ;)

like the program a lot easy and fast to use and since i cant get write protect usb drives they tend to corrupt often :P

Appelzaadje - the Insane

goodluck ;)

like the program a lot easy and fast to use and since i cant get write protect usb drives they tend to corrupt often :P

I'm gonna have to wait until later today and then try to borrow my mum's laptop so I can download what I think I need.

Thanks for the response though.

I would personally use this one: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

because I have used it before and its works perfectly.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would personally use this one: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

because I have used it before and its works perfectly.

It can also do Windows 7 installations. Look at the list of installable linux distributions and scroll down to the bottom and you will see that it supports windows 7 and other OSes and tools. Like it because it is portable. Not sure if the one that @Appelzaadje suggested is portable.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

It can't seem to locate my usb drive even though I have formatted it, any ideas?

You can copy and paste the CD to your thumb drive and it will boot if the motherboard supports boot from USB.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

It can't seem to locate my usb drive even though I have formatted it, any ideas?

Try checking show all drives but make sure you selected the right drive as this will reformat the drive that you have selected.

Try checking show all drives but make sure you selected the right drive as this will reformat the drive that you have selected.

I got the boot drive now I just need to figure out how to make my harddrive ntfs or at least part of it.

You can copy and paste the CD to your thumb drive and it will boot if the motherboard supports boot from USB.

No you do need to format it first and then coppy the boot loader from the CD/ DVD to the drive. I generaly do this through dos and then coppy the content from the DVD to the stick.

But sardu makes this easyer it does this for you. 

You do however need to change the boot order in the BIOS to allow startup from USB FDD or HDD etc.

Appelzaadje - the Insane

No you do need to format it first and then coppy the boot loader from the CD/ DVD to the drive. I generaly do this through dos and then coppy the content from the DVD to the stick.

But sardu makes this easyer it does this for you. 

You do however need to change the boot order in the BIOS to allow startup from USB FDD or HDD etc.

I've done this numerous times to install Windows.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 (2x SP120 Quiet Edition)  Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866MHz  PSU: Corsair AX850  GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2GB  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB