Is the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Worth the install hassle

MrDucco

I want to use the Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU cooler in my build, but with the ridiculous installation process.

Is it worth it?

61ggMlxy1qL._SX425_.jpg

snip

it's pretty much up to you if you want to spend time to install a cooler.

in my opinion, i think it's worth it because it'll be much quieter.

i think the nh-d14 is the same price and has an easier installation process. but you would have to give up looks for an easy installation (the beige/brown fans r disgusting)

It actually is a really easy installation if you have a pair of needle nose laying around to use.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

if you want a quiet CPU cooler thats really good looking, yes. if you dont give a shit how it looks/sounds get another cooler

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Well you only have to install it once and then it is there for however long so imo yes!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

it's pretty much up to you if you want to spend time to install a cooler.

in my opinion, i think it's worth it because it'll be much quieter.

i think the nh-d14 is the same price and has an easier installation process. but you would have to give up looks for an easy installation (the beige/brown fans r disgusting)

The Phanteks PH-TC14PE actually uses the same basic principles as the NH-D14, and also installs in largely the same way, but it looks a lot better and it's just as efficient a cooler... It's also, surprisingly, claimed to be quieter than the Be Quiet!.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Installing it isn't difficult. Just ignore the manual.

I put the nuts on the cooler's mounts first (make sure you have them set for the right socket) and tighten them. Then I put the cooler with the contact area pointing upwards, apply the thermal paste and put the motherboard (with backplate and screws in place) on top.

This is the only tricky part, try to have it about right so you don't need to move it about too much and make sure the orientation is right.

Then it's a matter of simply tightening the screws from the back of the motherboard.

If the motherboard is already inside the case, get an extra pair of hands to hold the cooler for you while you get behind it with the backplate and screws. Or hang the PC between 2 chairs, put the CPU cooler on top of the CPU and tighten it from below.