Workstation/gaming build

vkopanja

Hey guys, about to start getting parts for my new workstation/gaming build, and just wanted to check in with you all and see what do you think of parts as I order them, so far I'm thinking of getting:

Sabertooth Z87 or Z87-PRO (some input on this would be awesome!)

i7-4770K

Fractal Design R4 windowed

Will update with other things as I decide on them!

EDIT:  OK, since I will be buying this over the course of 2-3 months, budget will probably be around 1500-2000 euros or even more, depending on the NVIDIA prices heh (note: this is only for the PC, I have the monitor and peripherals).

As a workstation it'll be used mainly for programming, probably some Photoshop as well, so I will just need lots of RAM and and a good CPU.

And for gaming, well, it'll be used for playing games :D.

what are you planning on doing with your PC?

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

With the motherboards I guess it depends whether you want the Thermal Armour or not, what is the price difference between them both?

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

what are you planning on doing with your PC?

Workstation and gaming???? I think that's what he said...

Also, what is the budget. The AMD FirePro 9000 is mostly a workstation grade graphics card for rendering and editing however it outperforms a GTX 670 in gaming, especially at super high settings and if your rig will be predominately workstation then I'm amusing you have a bit of money to throw at it

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Workstation and gaming???? I think that's what he said...

Also, what is the budget. The AMD FirePro 9000 is mostly a workstation grade graphics card for rendering and editing however it outperforms a GTX 670 in gaming, especially at super high settings and if your rig will be predominately workstation then I'm amusing you have a bit of money to throw at it

well, i was asking for specifics. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

With the motherboards I guess it depends whether you want the Thermal Armour or not, what is the price difference between them both?

The price difference is negligible, just need the performance (didn't have the time to research) and for the PC to last for a couple of years.

Also, I have updated the OP with more info.

I'll see what I can do with PC Part Picker :D Then get back to you, I think there pretty much the same in performance, just one has thermal armour, could be wrong though.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

RAM will probably be 16 GB or more, and I was eyeing the GTX770 DirectCU II, and will throw in an SSD for boot and 2 TB or so for storage.

Here I have built this for you: See what you think:

This is in GBP though as I thought this was probably closer to the Euro with PC Part Picker as I'm not sure if you can do Euro pricing on this site.

Anyway, from a quick Google this shows at just over 2000 Euro, gave you 16GB of RAM for you editing, a 780 for a Graphics Card, and go down to a 770 if you wish :) And included an OS if you need one, take a look!

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1k7Sg
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1k7Sg/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/1k7Sg/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£245.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£87.98 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£183.98 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£116.59 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£106.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£49.32 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card (£570.94 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£89.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£125.97 @ Dabs)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) (£99.22 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £1726.24
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-24 15:11 BST+0100)

Edit: Do note though if you need an OS you might want an optical drive, but there really cheap.

Yeah, that looks like something I was thinking, minus the H100i, nothing from Corsair in Serbia, will have to go with a Seidon or something.

OS is being installed from USB as always, much faster :). Basically will just see if I go with 770 and take 256 GB SSD or like this. Maybe even Caviar Green for storage.

But yeah, that looks good, we have similar taste! :)

Wait for the newest Ivy Bridge-Extreme CPUs on LGA 2011 boards and grab one of these (6 cores, 12 threads, superior performance, lower TDP than current Sandy Bridge-Extreme).

GPU, go for 780 if nvidia. :) Most recommend ASUS DirectCUII or Evga ACX Superclocked. DO NOT get reference cooler, it's worse than custom coolers from ASUS, Evga or Gigabyte for example.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

Dravic, on 24 Jul 2013 - 4:03 PM, said:

Wait for the newest Ivy Bridge-Extreme CPUs on LGA 2011 boards and grab one of these (6 cores, 12 threads, superior performance, lower TDP than current Sandy Bridge-Extreme).

GPU, go for 780 if nvidia. :) Most recommend ASUS DirectCUII or Evga ACX Superclocked. DO NOT get reference cooler, it's worse than custom coolers from ASUS, Evga or Gigabyte for example.

But surely those processors would be really expensive? Plus don't all 780's use the reference Titan Cooler, which is meant to be really good? Though I do know their 780 also has their ACX cooler option.

Yeah, that looks like something I was thinking, minus the H100i, nothing from Corsair in Serbia, will have to go with a Seidon or something.

OS is being installed from USB as always, much faster :). Basically will just see if I go with 770 and take 256 GB SSD or like this. Maybe even Caviar Green for storage.

But yeah, that looks good, we have similar taste! :)

Sure thing mate whatever takes your fancy, it just gives you a barebones PC template to look at then and edit! If you need anymore help then just let me know! :D

Well 2011 would be an overkill for me, as I said, I'm a programmer, and even this is an overkill for me hehe. Besides, waiting for the new procs in my country would delay my build for 3+ months for sure :D.

@KieranThePCGuy Don't really need help, I just want opinions and peoples experiences because I still didn't see all the benchmarks for hardware I wanted, and it's always useful to have more input! :).

Well 2011 would be an overkill for me, as I said, I'm a programmer, and even this is an overkill for me hehe. Besides, waiting for the new procs in my country would delay my build for 3+ months for sure :D.

@KieranThePCGuy Don't really need help, I just want opinions and peoples experiences because I still didn't see all the benchmarks for hardware I wanted, and it's always useful to have more input! :).

Yeah I should have said advice really :P Sorry! Well if your thinking about the PC I made for you in that list or one very similar, you're going to have a high spec rig! :D

Will you overclock? If yes, then go for i7 4770k. If not, go for Xeon e3-1240v3. (smaller price, no integrated graphics garbage, still i7 performance, no overclocking capabilities).

The motherboard depends on whether you overclock or not. If you overclock, grab something like MSI Z87-GD65. If not, grab something like Z87-G43.

GPU - I recommend

Evga GTX 780 ACX Superclocked

or

Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce OC

or

Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II

Custom-cooled GTX 780 has temperatures 65-70*C and reference cooled one (titan-like cooler, there are some like that as well) has 81*C peak point at which it starts throttling.

Also GTX 780 from Asus, Evga or Gigabyte are slightly overclocked and faster than Titan at stock clocks in gaming.

These are my recommendations for the cpu/gpu/mobo side of things.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

What do you mean by workstation? What exactly will you be running on the system?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Linux for work (Eclipse, various servers, various virtual machines) and Windows 7 for games of course.

@Dravic I'm worried about MSI's RMA rate, it's the highest with over 3% and knowing my luck I'd probably get one that needs RMAing :(.

I'd prefer to go with Gigabyte or ASUS for mobos :).

Linux for work (Eclipse, various servers, various virtual machines) and Windows 7 for games of course.

@Dravic I'm worried about MSI's RMA rate, it's the highest with over 3% and knowing my luck I'd probably get one that needs RMAing :(.

I'd prefer to go with Gigabyte or ASUS for mobos :).

Msi is one of the big 3 with the other 2 being gigabyte and asus. They make solid motherboards. 2 of my friends and I all have the z77a G45 and it has and is still serving us well.

Msi is one of the big 3 with the other 2 being gigabyte and asus. They make solid motherboards. 2 of my friends and I all have the z77a G45 and it has and is still serving us well.

Yeah I know they are, still kinda worried about the RMA though, beacuse I have REALLY bad luck :D haha

Hi guys, need some input again. These are the components I can probably get easily, what do you say (I'd love Corsair RAM, but we have NOTHING from Corsair here)?.
So the problem is the GTX780 in Serbia.
I can probably get stock ASUS GTX780 (~635 euro lol), stock MSI GTX780 (~545 euro) or maybe MSI GTX780 TwinFrozr (~555 euro) and maybe even Asus GTX 770 DC2 (~410 euro).

Out of these, which ones would you guys pick, I'm at a loss :D. Recommendations are welcome (no ATI please :))

CASE:   Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, Window    11.999 RSD / ~ 105.50e
MOBO:   ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87    22.940 RSD / ~ 201.70e
CPU:    INTEL i7-4770K    32.298 RSD / ~ 284.00e
RAM:    Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB, KHX24C11T3K2/16X    17.460 RSD / ~ 153.50e
SSD:    Samsung 840 Series 530/240MB/s, MZ-7TD250BW    17.399 RSD / ~ 153.00e
HDD:    Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB, 64MB    8.750 RSD / ~  77.00e
VGA:    
PSU:    Cooler Master Vanguard, RS-700-AFBA-G1-EU (700W)    14.199 RSD / ~ 124.90e

Hi guys, need some input again. These are the components I can probably get easily, what do you say (I'd love Corsair RAM, but we have NOTHING from Corsair here)?.
So the problem is the GTX780 in Serbia.
I can probably get stock ASUS GTX780 (~635 euro lol), stock MSI GTX780 (~545 euro) or maybe MSI GTX780 TwinFrozr (~555 euro) and maybe even Asus GTX 770 DC2 (~410 euro).

Out of these, which ones would you guys pick, I'm at a loss :D. Recommendations are welcome (no ATI please :))

CASE:   Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl, Window    11.999 RSD / ~ 105.50e
MOBO:   ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87    22.940 RSD / ~ 201.70e
CPU:    INTEL i7-4770K    32.298 RSD / ~ 284.00e
RAM:    Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB, KHX24C11T3K2/16X    17.460 RSD / ~ 153.50e
SSD:    Samsung 840 Series 530/240MB/s, MZ-7TD250BW    17.399 RSD / ~ 153.00e
HDD:    Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB, 64MB    8.750 RSD / ~  77.00e
VGA:    
PSU:    Cooler Master Vanguard, RS-700-AFBA-G1-EU (700W)    14.199 RSD / ~ 124.90e

That PSU I'd change for a XFX, or Seasonic and Corsair.

And the graphics card, MSI GTX 780 Gaming, to me MSI have the best components, cheap than the other brands and has great clock speeds, and their aftermarket cooler Twin Frozr IV is really amazing (personal choice).

Heh, as I said, Corsair (and XFX) are impossible to get in my country, and Seasonic for a bigger price tag is 80+ bronze, that CM is gold rated.

And from what I've just checked in like 6-7 stores, they all have only stock GTX780's... So that's lame. How is the reference card compared to TwinFrozr and DC2?

I'll have to ask around for the stores and not rely on their websites if they have/will order the cards.

Heh, as I said, Corsair (and XFX) are impossible to get in my country, and Seasonic for a bigger price tag is 80+ bronze, that CM is gold rated.

And from what I've just checked in like 6-7 stores, they all have only stock GTX780's... So that's lame. How is the reference card compared to TwinFrozr and DC2?

I'll have to ask around for the stores and not rely on their websites if they have/will order the cards.

Don't go CoolerMaster for psus if you don't have to. Good brands include Antec, Be Quiet, Corsair, NZXT, OCZ, Seasonic, Silverstone, and XFX.

The reference card has significantly worse cooling. 

As for the sabertooth, get a cheaper mobo. You're paying so much just for plastic.