Help! I cant open regedit !

dnkgaming

I bought a new hard drive and wanted to direct all the downloads to it. I read somewhere to do this.. Just go to Registry Editor
by
WinKey + R
and
regedit and browse to the following Key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
Double click on the value ProgramFilesDir in the box type the path that you want as defualt and you are done smile.gif 
Restart to see Effects biggrin.gif  smile.gif 

Regards and Enjoy smile.gif

Well.... I changed the path in a few of the "values" .. Not just program files because at first it didnt work. Well changing one of them made it so i cant even open reg edit anymore and i also cant open the programs that i downloaded from the internet.

Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX1200i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula CPU: I7-4790k Cooler: Stock Cooler Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400mhz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

I bought a new hard drive and wanted to direct all the downloads to it. I read somewhere to do this.. Just go to Registry Editor

by

WinKey + R

and

regedit and browse to the following Key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion

Double click on the value ProgramFilesDir in the box type the path that you want as defualt and you are done smile.gif 

Restart to see Effects biggrin.gif  smile.gif 

Regards and Enjoy smile.gif

Well.... I changed the path in a few of the "values" .. Not just program files because at first it didnt work. Well changing one of them made it so i cant even open reg edit anymore and i also cant open the programs that i downloaded from the internet.

did you restart?  do a system check point

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

did you restart?  do a system check point

By restart do you mean restart my computer? unfortunately yes i did that yesterday and got back to it after work today to find that it wasnt working :(

Case: Corsair 760T White PSU: Corsair AX1200i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Formula CPU: I7-4790k Cooler: Stock Cooler Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 2400mhz GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

By restart do you mean restart my computer? unfortunately yes i did that yesterday and got back to it after work today to find that it wasnt working :(

boot to safe mode

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

boot to safe mode

will booting in safe mode let those exe. files open normally?

will booting in safe mode let those exe. files open normally?

one way to find out

see if regedit works in safe mode

also why the heck did you edit the registry just to change your downloads folder...

i meant to say my default installation folder not download folder. I changed that in the internet options. Usually when i download and install games it asks me where i want them installed but other programs automatically installed to my ssd which is only 120 gb and its basically full.so i Just got a WD black and figured i would have everything installed to that from now on. But i couldnt find how to do that either lol guess i should of asked before i started changing the Registry

i meant to say my default installation folder not download folder. I changed that in the internet options. Usually when i download and install games it asks me where i want them installed but other programs automatically installed to my ssd which is only 120 gb and its basically full.so i Just got a WD black and figured i would have everything installed to that from now on. But i couldnt find how to do that either lol guess i should of asked before i started changing the Registry

so you want your program files folder on the HDD

or you want your steam games install folder on the HDD?

yea i basically just wanna make it so everything i install will go onto the hdd now. The SSD was originally intended for the OS and i planned on gettiing hard drives sooner but didnt have the cash. I dont mind leaving whats already on the SSD i just wanted to install to the HDD. Im guessing i went about it the wrong way?

yea i basically just wanna make it so everything i install will go onto the hdd now. The SSD was originally intended for the OS and i planned on gettiing hard drives sooner but didnt have the cash. I dont mind leaving whats already on the SSD i just wanted to install to the HDD. Im guessing i went about it the wrong way?

yea

lol damn. Well If i can get regedit to open some how i can change it back. Guess ill have to try tomorrow when i have more time. In the mean time if there's any other options other then the system checkpoint ( never saved a checkpoint ) and safe mode which i still haven't tried yet please let me know. Im all ears and im sure i can fix it with a little more knowledge. I havnt had a question that hasnt been answered on this site yet!

lol damn. Well If i can get regedit to open some how i can change it back. Guess ill have to try tomorrow when i have more time. In the mean time if there's any other options other then the system checkpoint ( never saved a checkpoint ) and safe mode which i still haven't tried yet please let me know. Im all ears and im sure i can fix it with a little more knowledge. I havnt had a question that hasnt been answered on this site yet!

manually find the regedit exe file

and open it there

manually find the regedit exe file

and open it there

This is your best bet.

Please tell me you backed up any reg keys before changing them?