Coil Whine on lcd monitor

lightningterror

Ok so for the past year or two i've been experiencing coil whines. I narrowed it down to the monitor and it seems the whine is coming from the monitor.

Now what i want to do is apply some silicone on the coil(s) that cause the whines. Has anyone else done this and is it safe?

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Ok so for the past year or two i've been experiencing coil whines. I narrowed it down to the monitor and it seems the whine is coming from the monitor.

Now what i want to do is apply some silicon on the coil(s) that cause the whines. Has anyone else done this and is it safe?

I think you meant silicone, then yeah, it isn't conductive.

Personally I'd use a glue gun if you've one instead of wasting silicone

This is a signature.

Now what i want to do is apply some silicon on the coil(s) that cause the whines. Has anyone else done this and is it safe?

Are you sure it's coming from the display? If it has some, the source of the electrical noise could be the built-in speakers just making distortion noises

i have a monitor that whines, all i did was set the brightness up a bit, then it went away

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

I think you meant silicone, then yeah, it isn't conductive.

Ups typo.

And yea the noise is coming from the monitor, It doesn't have built in speakers and besides I turned off the speakers and still same results. Changing the brightness has little effect tho if i increase it more the noise increases. Also the whine doesn't happen always. Only when i have applications , web browser or anything else that contains a lot of text in it.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Ups typo.

And yea the noise is coming from the monitor, It doesn't have built in speakers and besides I turned off the speakers and still same results. Changing the brightness has little effect tho if i increase it more the noise increases. Also the whine doesn't happen always. Only when i have applications , web browser or anything else that contains a lot of text in it.

Oh... built-in speakers? Make sure first it isn't the issue (like static noise due to grounding). Disabling audio in windows or turning down volume in the monitor doesn't work to discard this issue. If you're about opening it, first physically disconnect them to be 100 % sure.

This is a signature.

• 6 years later...
On 6/17/2015 at 8:17 PM, lightningterror said:

It doesn't have built in speakers

On 6/17/2015 at 8:20 PM, 79 Potatoes said:

Oh... built-in speakers?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Anyway, here's a video showing the hot glue/silicone method on a psu. It seems to work fine and doesn't seem to require much precision: 

I had a similar issue that went away when I lowered each of my monitors' (2x BenQ GW2255) brightness settings to 50%, but I'm scared that the issue will come back in a year or few and I realise that this isn't a solution for people who have this issue with their main monitor. If I try the silicone method myself, I'll update this reply.

When looking around for info on this topic, I found nothing besides this and a few other dead threads on other forums, so I figured that this tiny bit of added info would be somewhat helpful.