Switching from AMD to Intel

Hello fellow tech tips junkies,

I recently purchased xsplit to record some gaming. Not to stream but just to record, since it puts it in FLV format, so not much disc space needed. But it kills my machine every time I start it. Any who, I finally have the means to make the switch to Intel. I'd like to hear some opinions on Intel processors, which ones are best, which ones are cost effective. Yada yada. Here is my current setup:

Phenom 2 1100T x6

16gb Kingston hyperx 1600

EVGA GTX680 FTW

Much appreciated guys!

Best: 3930K. Great for video encoding, but very expensive.

Midrange: 3770K. Mid level extra threads help with encoding and video editing work. I recommend this unless you have the money for a 3930K

Best Value: 3570K. 4 cores no hyper threading. Get this if you can't afford the 3770K.

I use a 2700K(don't see the point of upgrading to the 3770K) and it works great. Encoding is a bit faster and I can have tons of intensive programs open at the same time.

You also have to factor in the cost for a new motherboard. Motherboards for the 3570K and 3770K are cheaper than the ones for the 3930K.

3570K / 3770K: LGA 1155 Socket

3930K: LGA 2011 Socket

You can find good LGA 1155 socket mobos for as low as ~$100. LGA 2011 mobos start at around $200.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Can you elaborate on "it kills my machine every time I start it"?

does your motherboard handle a 8350? With all those cores it's really good at recording.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

You're current CPU seems pretty ballin' thoughI know nothing about AMD anymore and Newegg tells me it has 4 egg rating, which is top notch. Could you elaborate how it's killin' your rig?

If you're looking to upgrade still then I recommend getting 3770K which is a high-end CPU or if you can afford it the 3930K which is probably considered as professional grade, though I wouldn't recommend the 3930K if your reasoning for upgrading is just for XSplit because then you'll mostly be playing games and not doing professional applications.

Spoiler

Tantō

• Case: NZXT Switch 810
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Professional
  • Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
  • Central Processing Unit: Intel Ivy Bridge i7-3770K
  • Random-Access Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8 GB DDR3 1866 MHz
  • Graphics Processing Unit: Aorus GeForce 1080 Ti
  • Power Supply Unit: Corsair Professional Series AX750
  • Cooling: NZXT Kraken X52
  • Storage: AData S599 60GB + AData SU650 500GB + WDC Blue 1TB +AData SU800 1TB
  • Keyboard: CoolerMaster Masterkeys Pro S
  • Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB + CoolerMaster Master RGB Hard Gaming Mousepad
  • Audio: Logitech 2.5 Speakers + Feenix Aria + Bose In-Ears
  • Monitors: 2x Acer Predator XB271HU
  • Thread Link
Spoiler

Shuko

• Device Model: Samsung S20+
  • Operating System: Android 10
  • Read-Only Memory: One UI  2.1
  • Kernel: Stock

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1264-overclocking-guides/'>My Intel Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide

I'm pretty sure the 1100T can keep up and it's looking like the hard drive is the issue.

I suppose the HDD could be the issue. I have a SanDisk SDx240GG25 as my boot drive and a 1tb WD1002FAEX 7200rpm data drive. This may be the problem, since the recording and games run off the data drive.

"Kills". Basicly when xsplit starts recording, everything tanks, fps, everything. Even my desktop functions are clunky

Try a test record to your SSD. I record to my SSD then cut and paste it all to my HDD. Takes a while to transfer but works great.

I know what you're thinking...Don't worry about your SSD degrading from all the reading and writing. I bet it will still be working when you replace it in the next few years.