Ultrawide IPS for Gaming?

Pruxis

Hey,

I fell in love with the Ultrawide screens a while back but I didn't notice that there were more affordable options like the LG 29UM67-P, but it makes me wonder.

Are these screens dedicated for a workstation or should they fit for gaming aswell, as the LG 29UM67-P supports FreeSync I suppose it should be okay.

But it never hurts to ask right, hence why I am asking.

If you don't think this monitor is suitable for gaming or you have a better alternative (preferable around that price) please feel free to comment ;)

Kind regards,

Pruxis

Depends, it's like any 24' ips ~60hz monitor, except wider.

I would personally wait for the asus and other to bring 90hz to 21:9 gaming ( but I like higher refresh rates )

Does refresh rate matter to you ? If so, maybe get a 144hz ips monitor

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

I don't care about refresh rate, I don't think it really matters that much and doesn't make that much of a difference.

Atleast I cannot tell the difference of playing on 144hz & 60hz (CS:GO)

Pruxis,

I think you might be better off checking out what Freesync and G-sync are and how they work specifically. Also, there are a few monitors coming out soon even from ASUS which are all ultra wide, IPS, curved with undisclosed refresh rate at this time. G-sync will pretty much render the high refresh rate useless in these panels as far as I am concerned.

I'm personally hoping for 75 ghz refresh rate as that will most likely be the max due to current limitations on the panel and other technology being used (you can search the ASUS forum to see JJ's explanation as to why the limitations are in place in detail).

Personally I can't wait for ASUS and ACER to battle it out soon on the feature vs price point margins and of course the Linus reviews!!!!!!!.....

Asus 34" Ultra Wide  “ROG 34″ Curved Gaming Monitor” Is what I am waiting for. Also keeping in mind once you have this; you will need the hardware to drive it which should fall on the ballpark of 2 GTX 980 TI's or run single (my preference) and sacrifice on some eye candy down the road.

Here's the full list of new G-Sync monitors coming down the pipe. (Resource: PCgamer)

Model Resolution Size Panel Refresh
Asus PG279Q          2560x1440     27 IPS    144 Hz
Acer Z35                  2560x1080     35 VA     144 Hz
Acer X34                  3400x1440     34 IPS    75 Hz
Asus PG34Q            3400x1440     34 IPS    60 Hz
Acer XB271HK        4K                   27 IPS    60 Hz
Acer XB281HK        4K                   28 TN     60 Hz
Asus PG27AQ         4K                   27 IPS    60 Hz

21:9 is awesome for gaming. I had a triple screen setup and now I only game on my 29um67. Once you use a ultrawide its hard to go back.

i7-5820k @ 4.6ghz w/ H100i || Asus Sabertooth x99 || Gigabyte 980ti G1 ||  EVGA 980ti SC || 32gb DDR4 2666mhz Gskil || 1tb WD Black HDD || Samsung XP941 256gb M.2 PCIe || EVGA 1300w G2 || Corsair 540 w/ Silverstone Sound Dampening Foam || Logisys RGB Led  || Corsair M65 Mouse  & Corsair RGB k70 || A lot of Corsair SP120s