AMD Project Quantum

ahhming

AMD machine powered by Intel hardware - the universe should implode, or something  :blink:

I think that they are just using it until they have Zen ready.

that's still more than 1y away

AMD is really doubling down on that horrid rubber mat design aren't they...

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Then maybe they might use Intel as it's the logical choice and they would be shooting themselves in the foot to use any of the FX CPU's.

why not APUs, since they're so invested in those  :huh:

Then maybe they might use Intel as it's the logical choice and they would be shooting themselves in the foot to use any of the FX CPU's.

Why? Are there any games, that are CPU limited on AMD's newest APU's, like Carrizo? I doubt it. No way AMD is going to use an Intel CPU; don't be silly.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Then why in the video are they using a Z97 motherboard.

It's a prototype, and the amount of AMD itx motherboards, that uses the latest chips, is about 0 I believe.

Do we even know if this prototype, will ever see the light of day, or is it actually just a concept machine?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

It's a prototype, and the amount of AMD itx motherboards, that uses the latest chips, is about 0 I believe.

Do we even know if this prototype, will ever see the light of day, or is it actually just a concept machine?

I thought about this too then realised that AMD had no CPU's that can fully leverage dual Fury GPU's, so unless they have been doing something like binning 860K CPU's and keeping the top 0.1% of them for this thing, using Intel would be the best choice.

There are also AM3+ and FM2+ motherboards that are mITX.

EDIT [no AM3+ mini ITX motherboards exist but that doesn't matter unless you classify a 4 year old CPU to be there latest chips.]

Wait a second, what if it's Zen and they are no longer using pins on the CPU, instead of on the motherboard.

Edit-Ha jk nope its a ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac

I think AMD plans on going LGA with Zen. Although it's way too early for them to be doing volume production of them.

But that's a Intel motherboard, there is no way it was a Zen CPU.

Of course, I was just collaborating on the state of AMD doing away with pins on the CPU.

Wait, is that mobo on an antistatic bag??? Who the fuck thought that was a good idea???

This is something I will never need to know in life but will remember anyway.

Intel has been using LGA since forever, at least you now understand that LGA1150 is that style socket with 1150 pins.  :)

I knew it meant it had that many pins, I just never knew why the put LGA infront of it, I just assumed it was a Intel thing.

Yeah, it's pretty much telling you what kind of socket it is. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD uses LGA on Zen and there will become a huge mix up of Intel and AMD when AMD starts referencing their sockets "LGA1337" or something.

Yeah, it's pretty much telling you what kind of socket it is. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD uses LGA on Zen and there will become a huge mix up of Intel and AMD when AMD starts referencing their sockets "LGA1337" or something.

Please let them use something like AM_____LGA or else people new to PC building will be very confused.

Please let them use something like AM_____LGA or else people new to PC building will be very confused.

They will be using "AM4" for Zen although the hardcore techies will likely still reference them as LGA xxxx. I think AMD purposely brands their sockets (AM1, AM2, AM3+, FM2+) to clearly differentiate them from Intel sockets. Even though at this time and space AMD still uses PGA and Intel has used LGA for nearly the last decade.

I get the feeling that they're gonna wait till zen before selling it, because it would be a bit awkward if it was

"AMD dream machine... Powered by intel"

:P

- snip-