27 inch 2560x1440p 144hz vs 34 inch 3440x1440 60hz for gaming

lewshus

ill be playing mostly FPS.  There will be otther games of course, but probably mostly FPS.   Just wondering if I should give up the better refresh rate for the 21:9 aspect ratio in a bigger monitor?

No, especially for FPS. The 144hz is just so much smoother.

For gaming, get 27" 1440p 16:9 @ 144Hz.

I own a 34" 3440 x 1440 @ 60Hz monitor.  And while it's fantastic for both productivity and gaming, it wouldn't be worth it if you aren't doing productivity and focusing on gaming.  A 21:9 1440p monitor is going to be more expensive, will limit you to 16:9 resolutions in some games (e.g. Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm), are limited to 60Hz, and currently does not have a shipping product that supports VRR.

SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop
Razer Blade 14 (2015) | Core i7-4720HQ | 8GB RAM | GeForce 970M | 500GB M.2 SSD | 14.1" 1920x1080 Display | 4.19 lbs

give up nothing, have 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz, gsync     - Acer x34, will cost you though, although not much more than a standard 3440x1440 one

give up nothing, have 34inch, IPS, 3440x1440, 100hz, gsync     - Acer x34, will cost you though, although not much more than a standard 3440x1440 one

Those monitors won't be on sale until later this year... August / September time frame.  And when it does get released, it will be close to retail price (and take some time for street price to fall).

If you can wait a few months to make this purchase, then of course your options are going to open up with better / faster / cheaper gear (like any computer hardware).

But if you need a monitor today, then you're pretty much stuck with what's out there... which is 27" 1440p monitors at up to 144Hz, or 34" ultrawide 1440p monitors at 60Hz.

SSD vs HDD Direct Comparison - Identical Drive Images | SSD Boots Windows 7 + Load 27 Apps in 1 Minute | 17 Second Boot - POST to Desktop
Razer Blade 14 (2015) | Core i7-4720HQ | 8GB RAM | GeForce 970M | 500GB M.2 SSD | 14.1" 1920x1080 Display | 4.19 lbs

Those monitors won't be on sale until later this year... August / September time frame.  And when it does get released, it will be close to retail price (and take some time for street price to fall).

If you can wait a few months to make this purchase, then of course your options are going to open up with better / faster / cheaper gear (like any computer hardware).

But if you need a monitor today, then you're pretty much stuck with what's out there... which is 27" 1440p monitors at up to 144Hz, or 34" ultrawide 1440p monitors at 60Hz.

If you CANT wait a few months for a monitor you`ll keep for 10 years, you deserve to suffer with some sub-par gimped shit.

Well, its not that simple. It's entirely possible that you simply can't wait in certain scenarios.

For example, if I need a laptop **today** for work, then I need it today. It won't matter if there is a faster CPU or better model coming out in 2 months, even if you're going to be keeping the laptop for 2-3 years. What are you going to do? Just not do your job or schoolwork for the next 2 months because you're waiting for a faster CPU?

Now, the situation is a little different with a gaming monitor, because the only opposing force to computer gaming is a person's own willingness to wait, versus their OCD impulses to have immediate gratification (something Im sure many of us on computer forums can relate to when it comes to shiny new toys).

Which is why I have one simple rule when it comes to "buy now or wait?":

If you need it now, it is never worth waiting. If you don't need it now, it is always worth waiting.

Depends. The games that you play, do you get a constant 144fps? If not, it will be a waste. Go 4k, or wait another year or two and buy a better 4k since they're still relatively new and will be outclassed by better models like majority of every monitor now.