My current setup is an HE-400 through a Schiit stack augmented by a cheap logitech 2.1 speaker set with a frequency pass on 40hz-250hz through software connected to an onboard Realtek card. 

I was thinking of replacing the subwoofer and connect the new one with Y splitter cables from the Modi, but I'm afraid of latency issues like e.g. headphones being 0,05s faster than the subwoofer. 

Does typical PC speaker set subwoofers (mini jack input) have anything inside them that could add unwanted latency, and have I potentially missed something else?

Thanks for your time :)

Wouldnt bother, would just be a terrible trainwreck. 

Can you elaborate on why it would be a terrible trainwreck?

Can you elaborate on why it would be a terrible trainwreck?

You are augmenting a decent headphone with a sub par sound system. 

You are augmenting a decent headphone with a sub par sound system. 

It is indeed a shitty 2.1 system together with some decent headphones, however because everything but a portion of the bass is cut out (on the 2.1) I don't get to listen to those god awful satelites. 

Somehow the combination works, as I always felt like the bass punch on the HE-400 was quite lacking and this solves it with close to nothing/no interference with the clarity of the headphones plus I get to feel the kicks.

You are completely right about it being a subpar system, which is also why I'm thinking about upgrading it. I'm just worried about the synchronization issues.

It is indeed a shitty 2.1 system together with some decent headphones, however because everything but a portion of the bass is cut out (on the 2.1) I don't get to listen to those god awful satelites. 

Somehow the combination works, as I always felt like the bass punch on the HE-400 was quite lacking and this solves it with close to nothing/no interference with the clarity of the headphones plus I get to feel the kicks.

You are completely right about it being a subpar system, which is also why I'm thinking about upgrading it. I'm just worried about the synchronization issues.

Just use a splitter then, does what you want, avoids what you don't want. 

The he400 is quite a punchy bassy open can, I've used a sub with headphones before, just sounds goofy and weird.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Just use a splitter then, does what you want, avoids what you don't want. 

The he400 is quite a punchy bassy open can, I've used a sub with headphones before, just sounds goofy and weird.

Sounds like there doesn't seem to be many synchronization issues as you haven't mentioned them much. Thanks for your input :)