How to connect ethernet on windows 8.1

Trench Wastage

I recently had an ethernet port installed in my computer room, I have my windows 8.1 pc conneted with a cat 5 cable to the ethernet port. I cant connect to the ethernet now though. I may have to enable it somewhere but I don't know. Please help

Step by step instructions would be very helpful

I recently had an ethernet port installed in my computer room, I have my windows 8.1 pc conneted with a cat 5 cable to the ethernet port. I cant connect to the ethernet now though. I may have to enable it somewhere but I don't know. Please help

Step by step instructions would be very helpful

Just plug in the cable....?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Is the new port working?

The usual list of steps for home setups are:

1) Plug it in

The cable is plugged in but there is no option within windows to connect to ethernet. I'm not retarded

Do you have ethernet drivers installed for your mobo?

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

Sounds like you dont have the drivers installed for your NIC, go to the drivers page for your mobo and grab them. Should be by intel or broadcom or killer etc depending on your mobo.

Obviously that may be a little tricky if you have no network access on the pc in question but just do it on a connected pc or even a phone and transfer them over after downloading them