Do PC monitors use PSU wattage?

LiveTrooper

Just like the title says. I am getting dual monitors for my setup and wondering if they use the wattage from my power supply. I know they plug into the wall but are they also using PSU wattage?

Straight answer would be no...

A more complicated answer would be that the GPU uses up more power to drive multiple monitors... but that's only around 5-10% more outside of gaming...

I am almost 101% sure that they don't.

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

Straight answer would be no...

A more complicated answer would be that the GPU uses up more power to drive multiple monitors... but that's only around 5-10% more outside of gaming...

Thanks for the quick response. Would a 650W PSU be adequate for this setup? This isn't including monitors: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R9jXt6

Monitors have a kind've built-in PSU to convert power from the wall to something usable, some have an external power brick

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Thanks for the quick response. Would a 650W PSU be adequate for this setup? This isn't including monitors: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R9jXt6

650w is fine for that build with breathing room

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

No. The cables from your system to the display(s) only transmit data. The monitors get all power from the wall - but with USB 3.1 type C, that might change. Adding additional displays to your system does increase power on the GPU due to the increased load.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thank you all for the helpful responses and guidance. I really appreciate it! :)

for a single-gpu system, that psu is enough...

Nope.

In the future though, with usb 3.1 and the type c connector, we may see monitors that have 1 cable running to them from the pc. Sending both the video signal and the power needed.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

Just like the title says. I am getting dual monitors for my setup and wondering if they use the wattage from my power supply. I know they plug into the wall but are they also using PSU wattage?

No not at all, they have their own power cables that you plug in, they are not powered from your pc.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

650W is enough but that is not a good PSU for the money. You can get an EVGA 750G2 for less.

"Rawr XD"