Asus AM3 Motherboard problems

Hej Guys, 

Since my rebuild I am having some problems with my motherboard that I didnt have before but I cannot understand why. (For build log check signature).

But what I have been experiencing is that the mobo gets really hot, but that is so weird because I now have it in a HAF XB case filled with fans! Once when I was watching tv and the pc was on the mobo popped up a message with DANGER MOBO TEMP TOO HOT 105C! When I got back to the pc and saw this mssg I was like wuuut and checked all temps with software and seemed all to be okay... Then I opened up the case and saw the sticker on the vrm's bubbeling so I felt it and almost burned my finger so hot it was! I quickly turned down pc to cool down.

Ever since I am having trouble booting into windows. Sometimes no problems and sometimes it wont boot and the mem LED is flashing, Boot drive LED flashing and GPU LED flashing (not the same time but 1 LED every try). But its completely random and for ex I turn off PSU and leave it again for 30mins and try again it simply boots...

Its a Asus M5a97 Pro with a AMD FX8120 clocked at stock (had it OC'ed before but it is back at stock). (You can still kinda see the bubbles on the pic if you look good but I smoothed it back on with fingers already) 

Any suggestions or ideas? 

Thnx!

-Bram

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

The temperature warning is a glitch, I get it occasionally with my motherboard as well. BIOS updates, etc. don't seem to fix it.

Sounds to me like a faulty motherboard. At idle the VRM heatsinks should be pretty much room temperature because they have no load on them. Especially with the huge heatsinks that motherboard has.

How long have you had the motherboard?

Also the sticker that was bubbling, was it the Dual Intelligent Processor sticker or something else? Motherboard heatsinks are usually covered in a thin plastic sheet to protect them during shipping. Did you remove it before using the motherboard?

I would RMA it if it is still under warranty. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Sounds to me like a faulty motherboard. At idle the VRM heatsinks should be pretty much room temperature because they have no load on them. Especially with the huge heatsinks that motherboard has.

How long have you had the motherboard?

Also the sticker that was bubbling, was it the Dual Intelligent Processor sticker or something else? Motherboard heatsinks are usually covered in a thin plastic sheet to protect them during shipping. Did you remove it before using the motherboard?

I would RMA it if it is still under warranty. 

I have had the motherboard for a little over a year now... And yes it is that Dual Intelligent Processor sticker that I mean! 

The temperature warning is a glitch, I get it occasionally with my motherboard as well. BIOS updates, etc. don't seem to fix it.

But two have replied and one says its normal and one says its ready for RMA :D?? !!

CPU: AMD FX 8120 @4.5Ghz - CPU cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M Watercooling - Mobo: Asus M5A97Pro - GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X @ 1200Mhz - Memory: Kingston Hyper X 16GBs DDR3 - Storage: Kingston SSD & Seagate Baracude HDD - PSU: Cooler Master V850W PSU- Case: Cooler Master Cosmost II

-- Build Log old PC (HAF XB): 'the Cube': http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/36288-the-cube-cooler-master-haf-xb/ --

I have had the motherboard for a little over a year now... And yes it is that Dual Intelligent Processor sticker that I mean! 

But two have replied and one says its normal and one says its ready for RMA :D?? !!

The reason, I said it could be faulty is because you said that the heatsink was burning hot when you touched it. 

It should not get that hot at idle. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

The reason, I said it could be faulty is because you said that the heatsink was burning hot when you touched it. 

It should not get that hot at idle. 

Yes I really almost burned my finger on the headsink... At idle when the PC boots up its not that hot but its getting hot after a while of for ex. gaming that even my game starts to lag because of it. (I think because I had never have had lag before this). But when its freakishly hot to the touch in AI Suite (Asus Software) the temps are not crazy high, max 40C or something, but feels way way hotter!

Update: e-mailed Asus customer support, hope they respons fast and come with a good solution :)

Yes I really almost burned my finger on the headsink... At idle when the PC boots up its not that hot but its getting hot after a while of for ex. gaming that even my game starts to lag because of it. (I think because I had never have had lag before this). But when its freakishly hot to the touch in AI Suite (Asus Software) the temps are not crazy high, max 40C or something, but feels way way hotter!

Update: e-mailed Asus customer support, hope they respons fast and come with a good solution :)

I would get it checked out or replaced, the motherboard should not be doing that.

Good luck with Asus RMA, I have heard that they have super slow RMA speeds.

I would get it checked out or replaced, the motherboard should not be doing that.

Good luck with Asus RMA, I have heard that they have super slow RMA speeds.

Ohw yay... Hmmm this gives my high hopes, uhh not :D!! Haha but guess I will just have to wait and see what (and if) they reply :)

Update: Answer from Asus, sucks pretty much because I cant send it back to them direcly. I have to contact the store where I bought it, that store will return to their distributor and that distributor will have to send and contact Asus again. And in all the steps the parties need to check if indeed the mobo is fubar... Estimated time it can take: 6 weeks! WOW 6 weeks with no pc, that sucks soooooooo bad :'(!!!

Hej Guys, 

Since my rebuild I am having some problems with my motherboard that I didnt have before but I cannot understand why. (For build log check signature).

But what I have been experiencing is that the mobo gets really hot, but that is so weird because I now have it in a HAF XB case filled with fans! Once when I was watching tv and the pc was on the mobo popped up a message with DANGER MOBO TEMP TOO HOT 105C! When I got back to the pc and saw this mssg I was like wuuut and checked all temps with software and seemed all to be okay... Then I opened up the case and saw the sticker on the vrm's bubbeling so I felt it and almost burned my finger so hot it was! I quickly turned down pc to cool down.

Ever since I am having trouble booting into windows. Sometimes no problems and sometimes it wont boot and the mem LED is flashing, Boot drive LED flashing and GPU LED flashing (not the same time but 1 LED every try). But its completely random and for ex I turn off PSU and leave it again for 30mins and try again it simply boots...

Its a Asus M5a97 Pro with a AMD FX8120 clocked at stock (had it OC'ed before but it is back at stock). (You can still kinda see the bubbles on the pic if you look good but I smoothed it back on with fingers already) 

Any suggestions or ideas? 

Thnx!

-Bram

This is why I tell all my friends to stay away from asus, personal experience, not dissing any fanboys of their favorite brand or anything, I've just always had overheating issues, soldering issues and a few other random things happen to asus boards that they are not worth the cash to me, I thank them for that since that led me to Biostar which is actually quite good, energy efficient and cheap. I wouldn't call them my favorite though, I just buy Biostar since they're the cheapest with good performance. MSI is too expensive in SA.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

This is why I tell all my friends to stay away from asus, personal experience, not dissing any fanboys of their favorite brand or anything, I've just always had overheating issues, soldering issues and a few other random things happen to asus boards that they are not worth the cash to me, I thank them for that since that led me to Biostar which is actually quite good, energy efficient and cheap. I wouldn't call them my favorite though, I just buy Biostar since they're the cheapest with good performance. MSI is too expensive in SA.

Well so far my first Asus mobo but this isnt really a good experience... But I also had a very bad MSI motherboard in the past... Maybe I just have a bad luck thing for motherboards over my head :'( 

Well so far my first Asus mobo but this isnt really a good experience... But I also had a very bad MSI motherboard in the past... Maybe I just have a bad luck thing for motherboards over my head :'( 

TBH I haven't had an MSI board before that's why I mentioned it since. It's still outside of the price range I'd pay for a board anyways (so I can't really say if they are good or bad)., the best board I've had so far is my biostar, so I might stick to them since it's more around what I'm willing to pay anyways. (Gigabyte hasn't intrigued me yet either, their internal sound cards fail way too much, and when I say fail I mean they die.) Another cheap yet great brand is foxconn. idk why people diss the cheaper brands.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

You can buy low profile cooling such as Noctua NH-L12 or something similar in design that will cool both, CPU and south bridge. Maybe this will solve the problem. Asus has very hot chipset on am3+ motherboards.