Does hairworks make or break witcher 3 for you?

Luxpin_

Someone who isn't interested in playing the game isn't going to "try it" for $59.99.

Well, Steam Refunds actually exist now, no reason to not "try" games anymore.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

RPG game where I can't make a character. That's what broke it for me. So the hair works isn't relevant to me really.

You're playing the role of Geralt. I dont see where the issue is. Dont get me wrong I like making my own character too in games like Baldur's Gate and what not but that doesnt mean Witcher 3 isnt a RPG.

You're playing the role of Geralt. I dont see where the issue is. Dont get me wrong I like making my own character too in games like Baldur's Gate and what not but that doesnt mean Witcher 3 isnt a RPG.

I'm not saying it isn't.

But to me it doesn't feel like an RPG.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Well they do work on PC's properly you just need a very strong GPU

The issue is that AMD users were able to largely fix the performance hit by capping tessellation to 16x with no visible visual downgrade. So if it was that easy to optimize why didn't cdprojekt red optimize it out of the gate? That's just sloppy; something that would have hugely benefitted both NVIDIA and AMD users.

The issue is that AMD users were able to largely fix the performance hit by capping tessellation to 16x with no visible visual downgrade. So if it was that easy to optimize why didn't cdprojekt red optimize it out of the gate? That's just sloppy; something that would have hugely benefitted both NVIDIA and AMD users.

Because CDPR didn't develop HairWorks.  HairWorks was developed and provided by Nvidia so it ran as Nvidia intended it to.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Because CDPR didn't develop HairWorks.  HairWorks was developed and provided by Nvidia so it ran as Nvidia intended it to.

Ok so you're saying Nvidia did a sloppy job?

Either way CD Projekt Red has to take responsibility for the state of code in their game.

Ok so you're saying Nvidia did a sloppy job?

Either way CD Projekt Red has to take responsibility for the state of code in their game.

CDPR has no power to optimize Hairworks in that manner because it's not their code to optimize.  They can't do anything because the GameWorks resources are provided as closed-source dlls and CDPR has no access to the source code.  The only power CDPR has over HairWorks is the to give you the option to turn it off and on.  The only other thing CDPR could do would be to implement something like TressFX but that takes a lot of time and effort. 

Conversely with AMD and, TressFX, they provided the source code to Square Enix so they could optimize it for both AMD and Nvidia GPUs for the hair physics in Tomb Raider.  Nvidia flat out refuses to provide any support for optimizing their technology for AMD platforms.  The fact is, Nvidia GPUs do Tessellation far better.  Nvidia can afford to tessellate to an an unnecessary degree just for the sake of hurting performance on AMD cards because the gap in tessellation performance between AMD and Nvidia is that great.  In fact, they've been caught doing this numerous times in the past, most famously in Crysis 2 when the game was coded to tessellate underwater objects that were never visible to the player at any point in gameplay.

The bottom line is AMD’s tessellation performance is not very good and there is not a lot NVIDIA can/should do about it. Using DX11 tessellation has sound technical reasoning behind it, it helps to keep the GPU memory footprint small so multiple characters can use hair and fur at the same time.

I believe it is a resource issue. NVIDIA spent a lot of artist and engineering resources to help make Witcher 3 better.

- Brian Burke of Nvidia

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Under-Attack-Again-GameWorks-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop

CDPR has no power to optimize Hairworks in that manner because it's not their code to optimize.  They can't do anything because the GameWorks resources are provided as closed-source dlls and CDPR has no access to the source code.  The only power CDPR has over HairWorks is the to give you the option to turn it off and on. 

I believe CDPR does have access to the source code since they bought the license. They just can't show it to AMD or work with AMD to optimize it.

Either way I don't know whose fault the over-tessellation is. If it is Nvidia's fault it's very disappointing that CD Projekt would allow something like that in their game. It hits Nvidia users performance badly too, even if it hits AMD more. All gamers lose. Like I said CDPR has to take responsibility for the code they ship in their game, not make excuses for a badly implemented feature by saying it's out of their hands. That's a very bad direction for the game industry. They have done such a great job with the rest of the game...