Generic "Gah What PSU Should I Get" Thread #1000000000

zachrwolfe
Go to solution Solved by Thorium19,

Oh wow, that much extra space might just be worth the extra dollars. Just one more dumb question and I'll be done: will the sfx have sufficient outputs to connect everything I listed (CPU, GPU, motherboard, hard drive, 2 ssds and cooler)? I ask only because there don't seem to be enough ports on the back judging by pictures I found on an online store.

If you buy the modular 600w Silverstone unit, you'll have enough ports. It looks deceiving, but you should have enough ports.

Hey guys. I posted here a while ago about a build I was planning, and a few people were pretty helpful, but a few things have changed in my plans and I am now in the middle of buying parts for an over-clocked hackintosh workstation/gaming PC hybrid, and the only thing I'm lost on is what power supply I should get. As such, it would be super helpful if someone could give one or two specific suggestions to power supplies that would work for my build, given the following considerations.

I was inspired by Linus+Luke's compact 18-core Xeon + Titan X build, and so I ordered the same Silverstone SG13 case and a hackintosh-certified mini-ITX board to go along with it, the GA-Z79N-WIFI. CPU will be a 4790K cooled by an H80i, GPU will be a 980 Ti. I plan to use two SSDs (one for OSX and apps, one for Windows and games) and one 2-4 TB hard drive. I gather from research on the Internet that I will need at least 600W, but that's about all I know. What I'm going for here is a power supply that is as physically small as possible (to fit in my tiny case) for as little money as possible (but still from a solid OEM), that is modular (I can't really afford to have unnecessary wires taking up space in the case), that will provide adequate power to all my components, and provide headroom for overclocking the CPU for sure and maybe the GPU as well. Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks, and hope this isn't too annoying! :)

A silverstone sfx 600W PSU

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

Ignore.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

It sounds like you need a good 550W-650W. Nvidia have given us another power efficient GPU, so this will be fine. Here are some good options:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-110b20750vr

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220gs0650v1

The B2 is an insanely good price at the moment.

Your case can apparently take a standard ATX PSU - http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=536

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

Thanks for such quick responses, both of you. The B2 appears like quite the bargain, especially with NCIX's mail-in rebate offer. Will probably go with that.

If I was you I'd seriously go for a silverstone modular PSU, especially one of their sfx units. You'll seriously regret not getting one when things get cramped in that case, which it sounds like it will.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

If I was you I'd seriously go for a silverstone modular PSU, especially one of their sfx units. You'll seriously regret not getting one when things get cramped in that case, which it sounds like it will.

I take it the sfx is smaller by your post?

I take it the sfx is smaller by your post?

Considerably. Here's some size comparisons between them, including the new sfx-l silverstone is trying to bring in

sfx_vs_atx.jpg

s1601.jpg

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Considerably. Here's some size comparisons between them, including the new sfx-l silverstone is trying to bring in

sfx_vs_atx.jpg

s1601.jpg

Oh wow, that much extra space might just be worth the extra dollars. Just one more dumb question and I'll be done: will the sfx have sufficient outputs to connect everything I listed (CPU, GPU, motherboard, hard drive, 2 ssds and cooler)? I ask only because there don't seem to be enough ports on the back judging by pictures I found on an online store.

If you buy the modular 600w Silverstone unit, you'll have enough ports. It looks deceiving, but you should have enough ports.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Yeah.

@op

You might want to check out sfx-l for quieter operation as well.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

The SFX and SFX-L definitely seem to be the best options for my needs; thanks a lot everyone!