XFX Double Dissipation Memory Clock Issues

Go to solution Solved by Mrgerry,

Wow, guys, I am really sorry for the late reply, my pc was out of action! But, I managed to sort out the gpu without an RMA, all I had to do is delete a few files in system 32, which had been left from the old card. So I can say that the Forum is now solved! But thank you all anyway for all of the replies!

George :)

Hey guys ;) I have a bit of a problem so I will start from the beginning. About a month ago I purchased an XFX DD R7870 which for the most part is a nice card. Or at least until I turned the pc off after just installing it. When I installed it, it worked fine. Msi Afterburner was telling me that the clocks, the temps and the fan speeds were all as they were supposed to be. But when I restarted my pc, that all went out of the window. I kept on getting blue screens, the card was getting really hot and the fans were ramping up to 100% despite me never setting it to do so in the custom fan control. So I completely wiped my drivers with driver sweeper and installed it all again and it now works without any of those issues. But this only presented another issue. Now that the drivers were working 'properly', Powerplay was messing with my day and the clock speeds never exceeded 300/150 (core/mem) and It wasn't until I did a bit of research and actually remembered to check the clock speeds in Afterburner that I realised this. So I saw on a thread somewhere that I should download the msi afterburner beta where I could disable powerplay and ULPS. By doing this, the clock speed of my core was back to normal again. But then something even weirder happened. When I opened a game, despite my mem clock speeds being set to 1250mhz in afterburner and Overdrive, it only went as far as 435mhz and never budged. But then, to add insult to injury, when I closed the game, Farcry 3, The mem clock went up to 1115 mhz and is at that level right now as I type this. this should not be happening as the idle clocks are supposed to be 300/150 - not 300/1115. so my question to you: Fixable or RMA? I live in the UK so it might be different to where you guys live where returning products is concerned. I have indeed contacted the retailer and XFX  and the retailer has said that it is happy to RMA the product but if it is found to be in working order, then they will send it back and they will charge me delivery costs. which I don't really want to pay for considering I have already blown nearly £150 on Graphics card which seems to be a waste of time at the moment. But I digress.

Thanks In Advance

George

Pc Specs: AMD FX 4100, GA-78LMT SP2, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 650W Cooler Master GX 80 PLUS Bronze, and of course, the dreaded Card.

Ps. I attached a print screen of my afterburner to to serve as a point of reference. let me know if you want a print screen of one when I am in a game ;)  

You have two thinsg to look to. Me and you both have the coolermaster psu and to be honest it piece of sh** so that might cause your issues but then again it seems like your gpu has gone to hell, RMA that guy. I have a problem with my xfx card where the fan gets to 40% max no matter what the temp is, i can get to 95oc and it wont budge, i just set a custom fan profile but it seems XFX has quite a lot of problems at the moment.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

The card seems to have some possible cooling or tracing issues, I would return it, nothing you mentioned is a driver or software issue.

Okay. Well I sorted it. But not a clue how. I got rid of application profiles which I had forgotten to do in the first place through the control panel as well as CCC. Then I ran Driver Sweeper as a last attempt to solve the issue. I then installed Catalyst 13.4 which is the last official release that wasn't a beta. Job done. Afterburner, GPU Tweak both say that the memory is working fine and this still stands 5 days later. Any of the above may have helped it. But I haven't the faintest idea.

Cheers for all of the help guys :) even if it wasn't needed but still good to know that you are having input.

It looks like an RMA will not be needed luckily ;)

Hey guys ;) I have a bit of a problem so I will start from the beginning. About a month ago I purchased an XFX DD R7870 which for the most part is a nice card. Or at least until I turned the pc off after just installing it. When I installed it, it worked fine. Msi Afterburner was telling me that the clocks, the temps and the fan speeds were all as they were supposed to be. But when I restarted my pc, that all went out of the window. I kept on getting blue screens, the card was getting really hot and the fans were ramping up to 100% despite me never setting it to do so in the custom fan control. So I completely wiped my drivers with driver sweeper and installed it all again and it now works without any of those issues. But this only presented another issue. Now that the drivers were working 'properly', Powerplay was messing with my day and the clock speeds never exceeded 300/150 (core/mem) and It wasn't until I did a bit of research and actually remembered to check the clock speeds in Afterburner that I realised this. So I saw on a thread somewhere that I should download the msi afterburner beta where I could disable powerplay and ULPS. By doing this, the clock speed of my core was back to normal again. But then something even weirder happened. When I opened a game, despite my mem clock speeds being set to 1250mhz in afterburner and Overdrive, it only went as far as 435mhz and never budged. But then, to add insult to injury, when I closed the game, Farcry 3, The mem clock went up to 1115 mhz and is at that level right now as I type this. this should not be happening as the idle clocks are supposed to be 300/150 - not 300/1115. so my question to you: Fixable or RMA? I live in the UK so it might be different to where you guys live where returning products is concerned. I have indeed contacted the retailer and XFX  and the retailer has said that it is happy to RMA the product but if it is found to be in working order, then they will send it back and they will charge me delivery costs. which I don't really want to pay for considering I have already blown nearly £150 on Graphics card which seems to be a waste of time at the moment. But I digress.

too-damn-high-meme-generator-that-paragr

Paragraphs pls. 

And if it happens again, just RMA it before it runs out of warranty. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

XFX is a joke to deal with also...

• 3 months later...

Wow, guys, I am really sorry for the late reply, my pc was out of action! But, I managed to sort out the gpu without an RMA, all I had to do is delete a few files in system 32, which had been left from the old card. So I can say that the Forum is now solved! But thank you all anyway for all of the replies!

George :)