Is my cpu cooler okay?

Tazman192

Just took my cpu cooler off to put in my new cpu and realised the contact plate of the cooler lost a lot of its color. Ran my finger through it and can't feel any scratches or weird texture, so AFAIK it's just the color thats faded away.

http://imgur.com/36uJT8C

Will I be fine?

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

That's after cleaning the old thermal paste off, right?

Yeah, but the scratches were also there before cleaning (could just about make them out)

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

since it is just a cooler, i would suggest using a grease remover, even an aggressive one since it looks to me as if something has deposited on the plate...

or if you have it use CILLIT BANG !

Yeah, but the dicolorings were also there before cleaning (could just about make them out)

Yeah, but the scratches were also there before cleaning (could just about make them out)

Kinda weird then...

Anyway, the cooler should still work fine.

Idea: Could probably be because of a chemical reaction between the TP and your (probably) chrome/zinc - plated heatsink

That time I saved Linus' WiFi pass from appearing on YouTube: 

A sudden Linus re-appears : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/390793-important-dailymotion-account-still-active/

since it is just a cooler, i would suggest using a grease remover, even an aggressive one since it looks to me as if something has deposited on the plate...

or if you have it use CILLIT BANG !

I'm using arcticlean. Is this considered "aggressive"?

you should be fine and have no issues with it afaik

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I'm using arcticlean. Is this considered "aggressive"?

i actually dunno as i have never heard of it.. but still, you shouldn't worry at all...

you should be fine and have no issues with it afaik

i actually dunno as i have never heard of it.. but still, you shouldn't worry at all...

Yup, cheers guys seems like it was nothing to worry about. Now I remember why I was so hesitant in remounting this cooler, pain in the ass to mount. Temps actually dropped a fair bit from the 4670k to 4690k (atleast 12c on full load AIDA64). Not sure if its my thermal paste application was sloppy first time round, or the TIM really has improved.

Oh well, I'm happy. Paid nothing to upgrade :D