Should I sell my 970s in SLI for a 980 Ti?

Go to solution Solved by Tut,

No it's not. Why the fuck would you upgrade every half a year and want longevity from your components, do you realise how stupid that looks.

No reason to get so salty. I believe what he means is if the 980Ti is more future proof than the 970 SLI.

Also, no. It's not. 2 970's is better than a 980Ti IMO.

Hello guys! This is my first post on Linus's forum and I hope I will enjoy this site. Anyway here is my question for you guys:

Back in December, I bought two Gigabyte G1 Gtx 970s in SLI. They destroyed everything they went up against. Come a few months later, the 980 Ti is released. Is it worth it to sell my 970s to buy a single 980 Ti? Or should I not? I am the kind of builder who wants longevity or "future-proof" in a build. I want to be able to have max settings in games 2-3 years down the line with the current setup I have now. Here is my PC parts if you were wondering:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (Purchased For $236.35) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (Purchased For $129.99) 
Storage: Seagate  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $74.86) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (Purchased For $281.49) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (Purchased For $313.32) 
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $63.59) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $111.29) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $20.79) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 OEM (64-bit)  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm  Fan  (Purchased For $8.81) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm  Fan  (Purchased For $8.81) 
Case Fan: Corsair CO-9050016-RLED 52.2 CFM 120mm  Fan  (Purchased For $21.09) 
Headphones: Logitech G230 Headset  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Total: $1333.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-08 01:46 EDT-0400

No it's not. Why the fuck would you upgrade every half a year and want longevity from your components, do you realise how stupid that looks.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Personally I would wait until the AMD 3** series have officially launched.  May or may not bring the price down.

sold

sli 970s are pretty good.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

First world problems... 

sold

Wait for the New AMD flagship card, also one GPU is better than having 2 that equal that one so I would say upgrade the either the two new cards which ever is better

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

No reason to get so salty. I believe what he means is if the 980Ti is more future proof than the 970 SLI.

Also, no. It's not. 2 970's is better than a 980Ti IMO.

cringe on the daily

If you already got 970s in sli I would just stick with those personally, even though a single card is usually less hassle.

Also to me it seems if someone wants to "futureproof" their pc they would need to upgrade twice a year xD which defeats the purpose.

Tut knows whats up.

Stick to your 970s unless you plan on more than a single 4k monitor.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Thanks guys. I just wanted to get some insight.