Looking for Mic

AustinJ

So I need to a mic that can plug into my sound card, so either a 3.5mm or 1/4in plug. Why you may ask, it can not be usb since OSSv4 doesn't support USB input devices as of the current state. Why OSSv4 you may say, well pulse sounds like utter crap, alsa is better, and oss sounds epic. And if oss, alsa, and pulse sound foreign to you, well Linux. Now that all USB mics are out of the way, the budget. I don't want to spend nothing more than $125 USD I am thinking. With that price I want the best sounding mic I could get for VoIP. Anything that requires a preamp generally goes out of the budget range. The mic location is also another important thing to note. It will be a top or a side my monitor at about 1.5ft to 2ft away. Something that mounts on a 1/2 stand would great since I have a mount location for that already. I was using a blue snowball mic, which I find sounds a bit muffled, so something similar to the Audio Technica sound signature for mics would more perfered versus the blue microphones. Also I do not want some cheap sounding $10 mic since my fellow VoIP peeps will probably dislike me a lot.

So I need to a mic that can plug into my sound card, so either a 3.5mm or 1/4in plug. Why you may ask, it can not be usb since OSSv4 doesn't support USB input devices as of the current state. Why OSSv4 you may say, well pulse sounds like utter crap, alsa is better, and oss sounds epic. And if oss, alsa, and pulse sound foreign to you, well Linux. Now that all USB mics are out of the way, the budget. I don't want to spend nothing more than $125 USD I am thinking. With that price I want the best sounding mic I could get for VoIP. Anything that requires a preamp generally goes out of the budget range. The mic location is also another important thing to note. It will be a top or a side my monitor at about 1.5ft to 2ft away. Something that mounts on a 1/2 stand would great since I have a mount location for that already. I was using a blue snowball mic, which I find sounds a bit muffled, so something similar to the Audio Technica sound signature for mics would more perfered versus the blue microphones. Also I do not want some cheap sounding $10 mic since my fellow VoIP peeps will probably dislike me a lot.

I mean you seem to know exactly what you want so if you can't find it how are we to find it?

I mean you seem to know exactly what you want so if you can't find it how are we to find it?

Well, you said it fairly. I know what I want; however, I just can't seem to find anything. I was hoping that someone may have already had a similar issue or would know a good mic that would meet these requirements.

Well, you said it fairly. I know what I want; however, I just can't seem to find anything. I was hoping that someone may have already had a similar issue or would know a good mic that would meet these requirements.

Most people use: Headset, Modmic, or USB Mics.

I think your budget will limit your options

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit

I think your budget will limit your options

Let put budget a side, what is good bare essential preamp that will get the job done and last? Then I am thinking something along the lines of the AT2020 which are around $80 on ebay. This would allow $50 ish for a preamp.