Heavy Gaming,Programing and Editing

Hi LinusTechTips comunity,

I`m kinda new to thoes things, but i researched a lot and i wan`t to ask the experts if i did my homework good.(sry if my english is bad)

As the title say, i want a new PC for Programing,Editing and Gaming and after soo.. much research, i kinda want to make this sistem (the r9 290x is as a referice because i will buy one of the newer seryes of AMD, probably the one that have more Vram since my skyrim rages for more than 4Gb).

The list of components are listed on http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dTNrsYand i`l list them here too:

CPU:-------i7-4790K---(Editing and i will OC)

CpuCool:--Noctua NH-D15--(i heard that its better than the H100i and H105 in a ventilated chase)

MBO:------ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer---(i heard that its good in OC-ing the CPU)

RAM:------Kingston Savage 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866, CL9--(good response time for 1866 MHz)

SSD:-------Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB (for windows and programs)

GPU:------Sapphire R9 290X 8GB Vapor-X (as a reference to an future series of AMD)

CASE:-----Phanteks Enthoo Pro (good quality and add-ons at that price)

PSU:------Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+ Gold Fully-Modular(Tier 1? PSU for good price)

I will add eather 1 8gb ram stick if i find or 2x4gb and later, i`l make it 16 gb,

I will OC both CPU and GPU (The GPU not the bios but in something like Afterburner),

I question the PSU if its good as both quality and quantity or too much since i`v seen somewhere the same processor with the same r9 290x gpu using max 400W with the Cpu OC at 4.7Ghz.

Dunno if the SSD is good or it has a short lifespan.

Dunno if there are better option for the MBO in the same price range.

I live in Romania and i have a budget of ~ 1.000$(4.000RON) for everything without the GPU.

(add about 24% taxes to the final price lol to see the price that i can get them here :| )

Here are some shops in Romania that i know that they sell components for PC if it helps:

www.emag.ro

www.altex.ro

www.pcgarage.ro

www.mediadot.ro

www.torent.ro

www.gmbstore.ro

How did you hear that an air cooler was better than a watercooler? Thats completely wrong.

Also I would personally go with a higher core CPU rather than a 4 core. (better for editing) My preference though.

Everything else checks out fine :)

@Trizor3

Looks like a great build! I might recommend a Corsair RM 750 or CX 750 as the PSU is usually one of the more likely components to fail and Corsair is a very reliable choice.

Also, the idea of making it 16GB is good if you're going to be doing a lot of intensive CPU work.

Other than that the build looks great. Happy Building!

Oh by the way, it's always better to go big on the PSU for added upgradability and stability for overclocking.

ASRock is as great mobo company, along with MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus (my favourite). They make very reliable boards and are generally not succeptible to failure (provided you get a board that isn't $40)

Samsung is a very reputable SSD company. Their EVO series is very popular and reliable. A good choice.

Other good companies include Crucial, Intel, AData, and Sandisk. Kingston is alright but the previous choices are better.

Hope this helps :D

Dual Boot Windows & Hackintosh

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

How did you hear that an air cooler was better than a watercooler? Thats completely wrong.

Also I would personally go with a higher core CPU rather than a 4 core. (better for editing) My preference though.

Well it's not completely wrong, there are pros and cons to both.

If you get the wrong fans, a water cooler can sounds even louder than an air cooler, with two fans and the noise of the pump.

Also, watercoolers contain water which can fail.

But generally watercoolers carry the heat away from the source and provide more surface area causing better cooling. But a very large air cooler can easily outpace a single 120mm watercooler with a crappy pump, block, and thin rad.

CPU: Intel 4790K | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero Vii | GPU: Zotac AMP! Extreme GTX 970 | Display: ASUS PB278Q | Case: Phantom 630 | PSU: Corsair HX1000i 

Canada eh? 

A high end Air cooler can easily match a 240mm/280mm AIO. A D15 would be as good as a H100i.

Well it's not completely wrong, there are pros and cons to both.

If you get the wrong fans, a water cooler can sounds even louder than an air cooler, with two fans and the noise of the pump.

Also, watercoolers contain water which can fail.

But generally watercoolers carry the heat away from the source and provide more surface area causing better cooling. But a very large air cooler can easily outpace a single 120mm watercooler with a crappy pump, block, and thin rad.

yea... that`s the thing i`v seen on google (and i think on Tom`s too)

@Trizor3

Looks like a great build! I might recommend a Corsair RM 750 or CX 750 as the PSU is usually one of the more likely components to fail and Corsair is a very reliable choice.

Also, the idea of making it 16GB is good if you're going to be doing a lot of intensive CPU work.

Other than that the build looks great. Happy Building!

Oh by the way, it's always better to go big on the PSU for added upgradability and stability for overclocking.

ASRock is as great mobo company, along with MSI, Gigabyte, and Asus (my favourite). They make very reliable boards and are generally not succeptible to failure (provided you get a board that isn't $40)

Samsung is a very reputable SSD company. Their EVO series is very popular and reliable. A good choice.

Other good companies include Crucial, Intel, AData, and Sandisk. Kingston is alright but the previous choices are better.

Hope this helps :D

I was thinking of crucial MX100 as an alternative but i`m not sure as a comparation of thoes 2. :P

that`s why i chosed the I7 for the 4 core 8 threads. :D

Get 16GB RAM. It will benefit you for programming and definitely for editing. 8GB RAM won't cut it in the long run

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

yea... that`s the thing i`v seen on google (and i think on Tom`s too)

I was thinking of crucial MX100 as an alternative but i`m not sure as a comparation of thoes 2. :P

that`s why i chosed the I7 for the 4 core 8 threads. :D

That CPU is all you need for editing. It's great and while it does have 4 cores and 8 threads, it is still a powerhouse and its overall multicore performance beats almost all AMD larger core processors (8 core, 10 core, etc)

I personally prefer the EVO over the MX100 but if you want to get the Crucial SSD which is cheaper, then you might be able to squeeze in the 16GB that you want/should have.

Canada eh? 

A high end Air cooler can easily match a 240mm/280mm AIO. A D15 would be as good as a H100i.

I mean, Fine one some tests. If you completely pin the fans at 100% it changes the whole story. Sure its loud, but completely worth it. 

Source:

Just remember, If you overclock, don't go over 80c. any thing else is fine. just don't go over that temp. :)

dC5jKdH.jpg

The air cooler will be quieter overall compared to the AIO.

i5 4670k - Z87X-UD3H - EVGA GTX 670 Sig 2 - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB - 8GB Avexir Core White 1600Mhz - Corsair 750D w/ RGB LED Mod & Remote Control - 2x SP120 - 3x Enermax Cluster - 2TB Seagate SSHD - Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 - SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750W 

I mean, Fine one some tests. If you completely pin the fans at 100% it changes the whole story. Sure its loud, but completely worth it. 

Source:

Just remember, If you overclock, don't go over 80c. any thing else is fine. just don't go over that temp. :)

dC5jKdH.jpg

No idea where you got that from but it looks way off. I trust the two sites below for a better comparison.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2014/05/01/noctua-nh-d15-review/2

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Noctua/NH-D15/6.html

Source:

Yea.. i kinda wand a quet PC , and with the OC and from what i know , i need temps lower than 80c, voltage at a maximum 1.350 since i`v heard that 1.4 kinda rips the cpu off, try to bring the multiplier as high as I can, and stress test as much as i can with prime95(v2.66 or something) and Aida64. As for the Gpu in general, dunno about the voltage, but the power limit i think i can max, and for the core and memory , i can go until i see artifacts, testing with OCCT,Heaven,Valley and FurMark.

Correct me if i`m wrong.

Don't test using P95 and AIDA, on Haswell the newer versions hammer the AVX instruction which over time can burn it out

Air coolers are always quieter than their AIO counterparts, simply because there is a pump.

Don't test using P95 and AIDA, on Haswell the newer versions hammer the AVX instruction which over time can burn it out

Air coolers are always quieter than their AIO counterparts, simply because there is a pump.

that`s why i said v2.66, because it won`t use the AVX instruction, the nower version yea but this no, and with the aida.. dunno :D

Ah, makes more sense then :)

Use Asus Realbench if you want, which has far more realistic loads

Ah, makes more sense then :)

Use Asus Realbench if you want, which has far more realistic loads

Ty for the recomandation.

Yea.. i kinda wand a quet PC , and with the OC and from what i know , i need temps lower than 80c, voltage at a maximum 1.350 since i`v heard that 1.4 kinda rips the cpu off, try to bring the multiplier as high as I can, and stress test as much as i can with prime95(v2.66 or something) and Aida64. As for the Gpu in general, dunno about the voltage, but the power limit i think i can max, and for the core and memory , i can go until i see artifacts, testing with OCCT,Heaven,Valley and FurMark.

Correct me if i`m wrong.

If you're looking for silent Linus has a silent build guide with awesome components. I suggest you check it out.

Canada eh? 

If you're looking for silent Linus has a silent build guide with awesome components. I suggest you check it out.

NICE, but that fully pasive everithing its about Overkill for what i want :)), it will be too silent and i`l probably forgot that its even on :P, and the case its a bit out of my budget and only found in 1 shop in Romania(that i am aware of) and the fans, i`l take tham 1 after another if i feel like i will need more of the cooling/replacing the original case fans but ty for the recomandation :D.

NICE, but that fully pasive everithing its about Overkill for what i want :)), it will be too silent and i`l probably forgot that its even on :P, and the case its a bit out of my budget and only found in 1 shop in Romania(that i am aware of) and the fans, i`l take tham 1 after another if i feel like i will need more of the cooling/replacing the original case fans but ty for the recomandation :D.

I'm thinking of eventually going so something similar except with a CPU fan and perhaps a larger PSU. The concept seems great if you can actually do idle things silent and load things quiet

Canada eh?