Samsung 850 Evo 500gb slower than it should be

Enerjex

Hi all,

I'm looking for some help increasing my boot drive speed, it's benching very poorly in Samsung Magician.  I've tried Magician's performance optimisation and it seems to inconsistently help a little, but not enough.

It's plugged into a Gigabyte Z97x Gaming 3 motherboard, which from what I can tell only has Intel SATA ports.  I had a similar issue a few years ago with my 840 pro, which when moved from the Marvell controller to Intel fixed the issue.  I don't have that option with this board!

I've done quite a bit of searching on the net but all I can find is advise about ensuring it's in an Intel port, and that it's SATA 3.  Any other ideas guys?  I know it's expected to not always get advertised max speed, but this is a long way off.

The image is a good benchmark, the sequential read can drop below 300MB/s and the random read and write can be 2-4000 IOPS lower.  

One thing I have noticed is my SATA driver in device manager is the default Windows update one from 2006, surely there's a newer SATA driver.  I can't find anything on the Intel download center other than the new auto update apps that don't seem to actually do anything.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

post-222856-0-31098300-1433672217_thumb.

Hi Aytex,

The drive is 2 months old, I put a fresh install of Win 7 64 on it when it was new and it had these speed issues then too.  I'm just finally getting around to asking for help with it :D

Is rapid mode enabled? how many programs are on the ssd?

Is rapid mode enabled? how many programs are on the ssd?

With rapid mode enabled, people usually get numbers in the 3000's and come asking why their SSD is so super fast...

@OP: It's really a bit mysterious, since the write speed doesn't seem to be affected at all, since it is still in the 500+ range. The 840 Evo had this read speed degradation for older files, which ld to a firmware update from Samsung, but I haven't heard anything like that about the 850 series...

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

With rapid mode enabled, people usually get numbers in the 3000's and come asking why their SSD is so super fast...

@OP: It's really a bit mysterious, since the write speed doesn't seem to be affected at all, since it is still in the 500+ range. The 840 Evo had this read speed degradation for older files, which ld to a firmware update from Samsung, but I haven't heard anything like that about the 850 series...

My 850 gets about 6.7k/5.7k read/write but i got it like 4 days ago lol

Fault drive/controller? That's really low. Have you tried any other benchmarks? Also have you installed all the drivers from gigabyte?